Motorized jogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorized jogs

Tech Mentor

Default Motorized jogs

Has anyone here looked at incorporating motorized platters in his custom MIDI controller?
    Is it viable, both from a practical and economical point of view?

I'm getting mixed signals about the MIDI mapping support for it in Traktor, but apparently it's a feature NI is working on.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Mentor

Tech Mentor

The V7 is indeed my inspiration
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Someone posted about something similar to this a while back, I just can't imagine how you'd map it and get the accuracy high enough.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

The jogs on my Technics 1200SLs have pretty good motors
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

I dont see how these work, the platter spins but there like a vinyl top thing on top that slides?

yes. Normal motor turntable setup, fixed disk that slides on a slipmat and the movement of the disk is what's picked up as a speed signal.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I once tried it

I ripped an old direct drive turntable to bits then cut the 12" platter down to 7" with the intention of fitting an encoder wheel to it as part of a mod on my xponent :eek:

After cutting the platter down i thought it would be a good idea to test it out but it wouldn't work because now the platter was too light.

Only way i could get it to turn was to to put a house brick on top of it :eek:

Tech Mentor

Don't forget the Stanton SCS1D or the Denon 5500 and 3700s.
    The problem is that NI seem reluctant to play ball with spinny platter controllers for some reason. Some say it might have something to do with them being a cheap way to get timecode control without buying TSP and only requiring TP and hence NI not being interested, altho NI haven't said anything themselves.
    I don't know what Stanton have up their sleeve to make the 1D work with TP2, they got it working with TP1 tho with differing levels of success depending on who you ask.
    Denon resorted to a hybrid firmware for the 3700 to make it work with TSP1 & 2 but have no plans to do the same for 5500 owners. The hybrid mode enables the the deck to send out midi signals via the USB and a timecode tone from the phono outs at the same time as a workaround for TSP users.

The only way I know of to get the V7 to work with Traktor is to run Itch with a timecode loaded as a track and pipe that into TSP as a workaround for the lack of native support.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, they all use HID for the platter..
    I suppose if I were to incorporate one I'd have to process the jog signal on the controller itself, and filter the information Traktor receives.

No one tried anything like this before? We got some pretty skilled and creative people here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast