beginners setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beginners setup

Default beginners setup

im looking to start DJ'n in my bedroom as just a hobby. i was hoping to get some advice on how i can get the most bang for my buck when buying equipment. I dont need anything too fancy, but dont mind spending the extra money if you guys think it is worth the upgrade.

I really appreciate any and all advice you guys give me.

Start with a soundcard such as the NI audio 2 and a decent pair of headphones. the rest of the gear you cn piece together if and when you need them. A VCI100se from the techtools store would be a great starting point
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Default beginners setup

If you don't have any Dj software either, take a look at the native instruments s4 in the djtechtools store. And a decent set of headphones. The s4 is software, hardware with built in soundcard and is compatible with adding turntables if you wanted to go for DVS down the track.

The Djtechtools store also sell bags for the s4 and an instructional DVD aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    If you don't have any Dj software either, take a look at the native instruments s4 in the djtechtools store. And a decent set of headphones. The s4 is software, hardware with built in soundcard and is compatible with adding turntables if you wanted to go for DVS down the track.

The Djtechtools store also sell bags for the s4 and an instructional DVD aswell.
    I'd hardly describe the S4 as a 'beginners' bit of kit though ... it's a big investment for someone who's just starting out and doesn't know if they'll take to it.

I'd second Jester on the Audio 2, and them maybe a Vestax Typhoon/Spin or one of those old Hercules RMX controllers - if you take to it, then upgrade ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

i started using just virtual dj with a keyboard mapping, then eventually bought a hercules mp3 e2 which i still use as part of my setup today, you can get a free version of virtual dj home edition from there website, just google it, and the hercules comes with a lite version, by the way i love that you already have a dj name before you even know if you like it haha, its almost like youre doing it for rep
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

Just bought myself this set 3 weeks ago (total beginner);

Reloop Digital Jockey 2
    NI Audio 2 DJ

Costed me around 320 euro's (Europe) and i'm really pleased with the DJ2

Gl.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Retrow View Post
    Just bought myself this set 3 weeks ago (total beginner);

Reloop Digital Jockey 2
    NI Audio 2 DJ

Costed me around 320 euro's (Europe) and i'm really pleased with the DJ2

Gl.
    4gb Macbook, X2 Technics 1210 Mk2's, Behring UMX Mixer Kontrol X1, Uc 33-e, Prodipe 25-key Midi Keyboard, X2 Kool Sound Monitors, Audio 6

Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, Logic Pro 9

how about a BCD 3000? it has a built in soundcard and and it is REALLY cheap! it is very popular in brasil(i have one!) because of the absurd import taxes we have on electronics.

Audio 2 DJ and a korg nanokontrol 1. Cheap as hell while still giving you plenty of control.

And you can always use the korg nanokontrol to supplement any future controllers.

Hell I know damn good DJs who use nothing else.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    I'd hardly describe the S4 as a 'beginners' bit of kit though
    Sure it's a good size investment, but you can sell it pretty quick if it's not your scene. Plus it's going to be easier to use and figure out straight out of the box because of it's 1-1 layout with the software.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast