My Custom Controller

Default My Custom Controller

Greetings DJTT Forums! I hate for my first post to be asking for help but you guys seem a knowledgeable bunch and this seems like the best place for it.

So im diving into the murky waters of building my own midi controller. Im an absolute noob when it comes to electronics but ive been researching this for about 9 months now and to be honest im still pretty baffled.

I initially was going to go down the Livid Builder route but its pretty essential that I have rotary encoders and Builder doesnt allow for this. Ive also check out Aurduio but it scares the hell out of me. SO ive gone about looking for existing controllers that I could potentially canibalise and turn into something else. I figure if all the wiring and codeing and hard stuff is already done then it should just be a case of pulling the guts out, changing the inputs (pots, faders, buttons, ect) to ones i like, and sticking it all in my new enclosure and rearranging where everything goes.

Is this possible?

Ive been looking at this as it has pretty much the right amount of the right types of controls for me.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...trol-large.jpg

Am I foolish to think I can just pull this apart and put it back together how id like it?

Any guidance or help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks!

never seen that controller before (and I sometimes use Mixmeister lol)... seems not a bad deal for £159, assuming it outputs midi?

I would try and find a picture of the pcb on google to see how easy/hard it would be to solder new buttons/pots on the board. If it's your first diy project then it might be a little bit ambitious!

Having said that, it seems like a good candidate for a decent midi controller... lots of inputs and a nice variety of different encoders, pots, leds and buttons.

Tech Convert

IDK about physically dismantling the controller, but you can certainly remap the device. it works well with traktor, even with jog wheel fx!

just find another case and rip it apart, eazy as hell
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I was actually going to buy one before I got a silly deal on my APC40..Pretty cheap and lots of controls on it, I was thinking of mounting it vertically as a rotary style mixer....

There's not that many encoders on it though most are just knobs. I think its only got 3 or 7 in total, the channel volumes I'm not 100% on.

you "Could" use a BCR-2000 + Korg Nano Kontrol + USB hub together to great effect, easier to pull apart, more rotary controls and around the same price.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-02-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Tech Wizard

i like that, looks real nice!

I'm working on the same project... here are a few links to help and hopefully get you started...

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=49843
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...051#post457051
    Reason/Record, Cubase 5, Ecler EVO4, Adam p11a Monitors, Audio 6, Kontrol X1,Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton 8, MPk25, Novation SL keyboard controller, Apogee Duet 2, Presonus Central Station, Macbook Pro, Numark CDX's