Foreign Language Tracks
    Tech Guru

Default Foreign Language Tracks

What do you do if you love a track but have no idea what the vocals are actually saying?

I sometimes get requests to play some spanish style music or something similar. The problem is I don't know spanish and have no idea what half of the tracks I have are actually saying. I can tell a good beat which is why I keep them but I would like to expand my horizons a bit.

Is there a better way to deal with a request like this? What about other languages/styles (although Spanish style music is by far the most requested).

Just recently I picked up Cr2 Miami 2011 and loved this track.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUPcUsUwXI

Now I'm not totally useless. I know when someones swearing in another language (except french they could tell me to go blow a goat and it would still sound nice). I have no idea what the context of the vocals are and they are too fast in parts to run them through google translate, that's if I could spell them correctly. I could always get a spanish speaking friend but was wondering if you all had any tricks/ideas for dealing with not just Spanish but other languages as well.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

tbh, sod what it says.

I play a load of French Hip-Hop, and whilst my French isn't that terrible, they're all rapping in a Marseille dialect which I barely understand one word in ten.

but it's got a good feel to it, so I play it ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I just play them and pray they're not talking about killing whitey.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

du redest auch in englisch und ich kanns verstehen
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I think of the voice as an instrument, without words that make sense to you, you can appreciate a lot more it's expression and they fit differently (to my ears) in the mix.

Personally, I love german vocals, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUC32-0WuY

Tech Mentor

me and my friend play a lot of asian stuff. he prefers korean and i the J rap. we understand like...1 percent of it. if its fun and rocks let it go. look at Rammstein in the 90's in the US

Tech Wizard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdnfv4qxGe4
    This song came to mind as soon as I read the topic. The lyrics are actually really simple, but it's a treat to listen to non-German speakers sing along to the chorus.

Also this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBjDZMJUduo
    Macbook Pro i7 || Kontrol S4 || Akai LPD8 || Midifighter Classic || Traktor Pro 2

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colas View Post
    This song came to mind as soon as I read the topic. The lyrics are actually really simple, but it's a treat to listen to non-German speakers sing along to the chorus.
    Agree, love both songs