Best setup for under 600 bucks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Best setup for under 600 bucks?

So, say I have some studio monitors and an external soundcard and such already, and a shitty m-audio xsession. What's the best controller I can get my hands on in the next month or so for under 600 bucks? It seems like a VCI-100SE might be best to wait on given the new traktor update and no mappings, might need a new overlay, etc. What's my best option?

bump.
    for once its not a $100 budget.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

600 puts you in the awkward range. If you get like an extra 50 bucks you can probably find a used MC6000 - if you have software already that is. Or the VDJ LE could be fine for a while, but i've heard it has really big limitations.

But if you already have a soundcard, maybe getting something with a built-in soundcard would be a waste of money so then the obvious choice would be a VCI-100 used with a Kontrol X1 or MidiFighter.

The problem with a 600 dollar setup is that you might feel like you want to upgrade it when you get it, but its a bit bigger of a deal to upgrade a 600 dollar setup than like a 300 dollar setup.
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

the novation twitch may be a good option, its due for release in july
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Quote Originally Posted by elliotg View Post
    the novation twitch may be a good option, its due for release in july
    +1
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I've got Traktor Pro 2. I say assume I've got the soundcard. Since I haven't got it on my person or anything, but I have the ability to get a new NI one really cheap (of questionable legality) from a super sketchy third world friend. So, basically free soundcard if I want it. I've got fairly developed DJ skill as it is in terms of beat matching, smooth transitions, etc. I mean, what's the lowest I could get a used S4 for?

Honestly I've seen S4's kicking around used for about 750 or so. Maybe less if you are local or know someone, but that's always questionable.

If you wanted to go for ITCH and the VCI-300 for instance, I've seen a few of those going used for around 600 or less (generally the MK1's). Always an option to think about if you wanted to step away from Traktor.

Otherwise, I'd probably suggest just saving up and getting an S4. Really, it's probably what you want, and you'd probably be completely happy with it. Don't settle for something less if that's what you want. Even if it takes an extra month or two, you'll be wicked happy when you do get it.

At that price you could also potentially pick up some used Denon CDJ's (1000's or 1200's I think) that would get you going on that route. Something to think about at least.

Controller wise you're at the point where you could go for a less expensive one and want to upgrade eventually, or save up for one of the big boys and be happy for a long time. Money talks, and so just keep your eyes peeled for deals.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Get a vci100se. Even without a mapping for TP2 yet or new overlay. Vci100 with the latest mapping is still boss!
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

i <3 my s4. havnt looked back since i upgraded from my spin/apc40/x1 rig.

i gotta figure out something sweet to map the apc too otherwise im gonna sell it cause i dont use it all that much in live (other than as a step sequencer -- as i havnt worked out the kinks in my "ableton dj" workflow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

I got the S4,

even if something new comes out at the end of the summer or something. 4 channel mixer is fun. Even if your lining up songs in advanced. Start playing with some loops and you can have them weave in and out of the mix. Wayyy less cables then if I had to run into a 4 channel mixer.

I also have an X1. Also a very good piece of kit.

You could do 2 X1's and have 4 deck internal mixing, map the triggers out for instant grat style effects and the other one could have the transport button for all 4 decks.

use all the knobs for eq and gain. Encoders for volume.

Or you could just get one and remap for an internal mixer. Get an audio2.

buy some new tunes with the rest.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast