Switching from VDJ to Traktor scratch pro 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Switching from VDJ to Traktor scratch pro 2

I'm growing a pair and switching from VDJ to Traktor scratch pro 2. Not that I have anything wrong with VDJ just a local (hero) dj put it through my head that vdj really doesn't train you to be a good DJ.

So the few day sI've been working on it, it's been a struggle. I'm so use to having both tracks running on top like VDJ has so I can tell when my cues are coming up or even when i'm free mixing I know when a good transition spot is. Is there anyway to have Traktor do this? if not whats the easiest way to know when you need to start playing your next track. the way I've been doing it is a hassle which is going in vdj going to the cue, writing down the cue time going back into tracktor and adding that cue.

thanks

This sounds like me a little while back!!

I would have to agree with your local DJ. While VDJ is a great program to get mixing and learn about DJ theory (the little overlapping waveforms are fantastic for teaching people the concept of beat-matching), it can only go so far as it is far too easy to just look at the waveforms instead of using your ears.

However, Traktor takes things a little further, and these differences teach you to be a better DJ. As you said, your main issue is the waveform viewing. As far as I am aware, there is no way to have Traktor run two waveforms on top of each other. However, this, and the lack of a phase counter, teaches you to learn to pick the bars out by ear, and beat match by ear as well.

Also, the difference in waveforms means you have to get intimate with your music, and KNOW when good spots are to mix in/out. (This is probably one of the most important things!!)

And as far as cue points go, you will have to set these manually once again. Sorry, I dont know of any way to import cues from VDJ....

Jezalenko......
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Wizard

alright learning when to start the track is going to be the hardest for me haha, oh well its definitly worth the hard work!! Thanks Jezalenko. I'm getting mixtrack Pro next tuesday how is it? anything bad about it? What extras will i need to buy with it

Tech Guru

Just learn to count beats, bars and phases traktor will come naturally after a while, I jumped from doing shitty mixing on virtual dj a good few years back to doing even shitter mixing on traktor Dj studio 3 but after getting used to the lay out my mixing and quality was a lot better, I still enjoy the odd mess about on traktor but no offence to the users out there but find it to be more of a toy these days
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by slpower01 View Post
    I still enjoy the odd mess about on VDJ but no offence to the users out there but find it to be more of a toy these days
    fixed. tip to OP: if you can't work out how to start a song in time, go to a significant moment in the song like the drop or start of a breakdown then use traktor's beatjump feature (in the advanced panel under 'move' I think) to jump backwards in sections of 4, 8 or 16 beats. Then if you start on the one you'll at least have the bars lined up.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Cheers F E P, drop that shizzz on the drop electro house works well like this
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Hey Cthulhu

Really, no extras are required for the Mixtrack Pro except a decent set of headphones and some speakers.

However, paying the extra cash for Traktor Pro is well worth is, VDJ LE is extemely limited!!!

Best of luck mate, we hope to hear a mixtape from you soon!
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Wizard

you definitly will once I get this deck, I cant use headphones on traktor because usb headsets wont work. So You definitly will hear my show's mixtape too

Tech Convert

I've been making the same transition. For about a little while now I've been moving off of VDJ and working with Traktor Pro. I agree that VDJ is a good program but it can only teach you so much and in my opinion was taking to much emphasis off of the music, which is what it should be all about. Just keep working with it and it will get better. Before you know it you'll feel even more comfortable with Traktor and the possibility will not be as limited.

i agree with alexb, i started out on vdj and very quickly grew out of it, i had a version of traktor 3 le that came with my controller, at first i didnt get on with it simply because i was using the visual waveforms more than listening to the music. although it was almost like starting from scratch again i went out and bought tp2, it took me a while to pick it up but once it just kinda clicked everything actually seemed easier than vdj. besides, the one thing you HAVE to do is learn to listen to your music rather than watching your waveforms, what if youre playing out and your laptop dies, you need to be able to mix with cd, allbeit even at a basic level to carry on the night.

anyway without going on too much, you wont regret switching, and everyone on here will help you with any problems that arise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast