Another Beginner...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Another Beginner...

Hi all, I am highly interested in DJing and just starting to grab equipment, (so far only a MacBook Pro) I've done quite a lot of research on here and elsewhere but still have questions regarding a first setup.
    The kind of music I mainly want to play is Psytrance/Progressive, and well are there certain controllers that would be better than others for this kind of music?
    I know live performance would be towards the direction I would be going eventually. I was considering an Ableton controller like the LaunchPad OR going with a simple setup with Traktor to start, namely X1's, Audio 2, and a mixer of some kind.

The other setup I was considering was a Novation Twitch, which looks like a good deal.

So basically my question is are these good ideas to start with? I mean something simple to learn on would be nice, but also something I could use down the road.

S4 and Midi-Fighter im assuming money isnt a problem as you have gone out and bought a MacBook Pro lol...i have had a vci-100se 2 x kontrol x1's an allen & heath xone1d, cdj's and out of it all my current set up is the best by a million miles, the S4 controller hooked up to my MacBook Pro, and ive just rcently bought 2 vinyl turntables as you can hook them up2 the S4 The S4 just works soooooo well.
    Last edited by paulmac; 06-09-2011 at 02:20 AM.
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

the twitch looks like a very nice controller, have you also considered an s4 ?

Tech Convert

Wow lot's of praise for the S4 well I am considering it even with the price point, its a little high but I'd be able to manage, also wanted to get some good headphones as well.
    Oh yeah the S4 has built in standalone mixer right, the MIDI fighter looks great just would want to get to know Traktor more before investing in that right away.
    The S4 seems like a great all in one that's for sure.

the S4 still need to be hooked up to your laptop to be able to use it, you can run cdj's or turntables thru it and play normal cds or records it just has to go thru you laptop too, im sure someone else will clarify this, as this is a question i asked back when i got one.
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    the S4 still need to be hooked up to your laptop to be able to use it, you can run cdj's or turntables thru it and play normal cds or records it just has to go thru you laptop too, im sure someone else will clarify this, as this is a question i asked back when i got one.

Ah i see that's still very cool though, a lot of use out of it, I am greatly considering it now. Sounds like a great controller, of course later down the line I'd want to add more, but you think it's a good starting controller for someone new to Traktor/Djing?

i think its great, everything u need on one controller. Nice simple lay out, and works seemlessly with traktor. And u wont need to upgrade as you get better and want to do more as you will have a great controller that will do almost everything u need it to do. I bought the turntables to add a nother dimension and am thinking of getting a midi-fighter just to suppliment it all to use for fx with the innstant gratification mapping from the mappings page.

The S4 has a pretty much 1 to 1 layout with traktor, ie there's a button for each function and the buttons correspond directly to functions on the screen. Makes it much easier to learn the layout.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Ahh I see it's a great all in one and everything you really need. It sounds perfect for my needs then, and also to learn Traktor. It also seems like it would be long lasting, I like that wouldn't need to upgrade or anything and it sounds like a great standalone unit too. Ah yes get more to supplement it eventually, the midi fighter looks like a cool piece of kit, I am still confused on all those mappings and such, doesn't take too long to grasp eh?

Oh a 1 on 1 layout so the buttons are easy to read as they correlate with what's on screen, I see it sounds perfect for learning then, I'm definitely going to pick one up now. Hm now about some headphones..ha

thanks all for your feedback, definitely be picking an S4 up then and get started on some beats! these forums seem really helpful and informative and a good bunch of people on here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Causality View Post
    these forums seem really helpful and informative and a good bunch of people on here too.
    Welcome!

re. the midifighter mappings, they're pretty easy to get the hang of. The instant gratification mapping is fantastic, just mash buttons for awesome effects
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast