Midi Keyboard Decision Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Midi Keyboard Decision Help

Hello Everyone,

I have searched through some of the previous threads about this topic but I wanted to get some opinions about the three keyboards I have narrowed it down to. I do not have any experience with piano playing and I wanted to get one to map out ideas in ableton.

Option 1 - Akai MPK Mini - $99
    - nice pads
    - nice size (I don't have much space)
    - no pitch or modulation wheel (I would like the ability to add a vibrato to the notes)

Option 2 - Alesis Q25 - $110
    - has pitch modulation wheels
    - no rotary encoders
    - the size seems kind of long

Option 3 - M-Audio Oxygen 25 - $120
    - no pads
    - has pitch modulation wheels
    - has rotary encoders
    - a little bit wider than an MPK mini
    - has a led display

Right now I am leaning towards the Oxygen because it has the modulation wheels and rotary encoders. I just wanted to get some opinions from people who have tried them out.
    Electro House

[Podcast] Adrian P : Bangin' On Ya System

Subscribe!

I'd just like to add that the keys and the knobs on the akai are pretty poor. The knobs are too small to comfortably grip and the keys are sorta half size. I'm not sure the keys are velocity sensitive either.

The alesis comes with a ableton le I think if you're interested in that. Dunno about the others.

I'm 90% sure the oxygen does NOT have encoders. I think they are just pots.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Wizard

I think they are all velocity sensitive. Your probably right about the rotary encoders though.
    Electro House

[Podcast] Adrian P : Bangin' On Ya System

Subscribe!

I haven't used the others, but the MPK Mini was extremely disappointing.

The arpeggiator appeared not to work in Logic (not a huge deal, as Logic has a really good one in the Environment) despite using various tutorials on using that exact setup.

The pads kind of feel like crap.

The knobs kind of feel like crap, and they're tiny.

I can't recommend it. I like my LPD8, but I also got it on sale for like $35. If the MPK Mini was closer to $40 or $50, I'd be fine recommending it as something to keep in a backpack or as a first keyboard. At $100, I find it hard to recommend it for anything.

Tech Student

I have the Oxygen 25, love it. The buttons feel good and the knobs are nice as well. Also if you put some medical tape on the tops of the white keys, they have this great tactile feel and you can write on them.

go for at least a 37 keyboard 49 or 61 if you can
    it will make your life a lot easier

I use the Oxygen 49. 9 faders, 8 pots, about 14 xtra buttons, mod and pitch wheels, can add a pedal for a shift key. It is cheap, as in not the sturdiest piece of equipment I've seen, but has lots of controls to map. I have been pounding on mine for over a year with no

i don't know about those ones but if you want it for production and not carting around when you play live then i'd say go for something with full size keys, touch sensitive and after touch and a decent number of octaves and not worrry about faders, sliders, knobs and tassles too much

i used to use a roland jv90 as a master keyboard - worked great for years.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

I had a similar question so i thought id post it here.. My machine is going to arrive tomorrow but im still going to want a keyboard to use in the machine soft ware and with komplete elements and maybe even traktor.. I want to get the mpkmini but it doesnt have midi out or in and that what the machine takes would i still be able to control the machine software and traktor and such if the connection is mini usb to usb? I'd also like it to be verry small seeing that im taking it to camp and needs to fit in my back pack..

Yes, you don't need conventional midi connections, it will work fine via sub.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast