Good speakers to get?

Default Good speakers to get?

Planning on getting the s4 with the software and a midifighter. What are good speakers that are good quality, wont break. Planning to have parties at my house. Going to be under the balcony and the pool + grass part is next to me where people will be dancing and stuff. then im planning to dj at like warehouses for other parties hosted by companies and stuff. thanks everyone i really appreciate the help.

Tech Wizard

Im very very intrested in this thread

BUMP
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Behringer makes really good PA speakers for a rather cheap price. But I don't know exactly what your price budget it - they're good but they're not great. They'll do for house parties if you get the 210's or 212's but i wouldn't recommend dropping money on the 215's and instead get like mackie thumps.
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

Tech Mentor

Yo.. I have had some bad experiences with Behringer products.. unfortunately Also.. some of my mates have too... Didn't notice what your budget is, but if you've got 700 bones to throw at the problem, a pair of used FBTs might be your best bet.. these are Italian speaks which were the design basis for the Mackie SRM 450's... They aren't as powerful, but they sound super clean... and the bigger woofer moves more air which means outdoor parties will rock harder... Now... if you've really got a big budget.........

Behrginer products, or just behringer mixers?
    amps and speakers made by behringer are amazing pieces of kit,
    Bar the DDM4k and possibly the new NOX series, they have made the worst mixers known to man

But amps + speakers = yay
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJZEchevarria View Post
    Planning on getting the s4 with the software and a midifighter. What are good speakers that are good quality, wont break. Planning to have parties at my house. Going to be under the balcony and the pool + grass part is next to me where people will be dancing and stuff. then im planning to dj at like warehouses for other parties hosted by companies and stuff. thanks everyone i really appreciate the help.
    That is quite a wide range of venues you have listed.

In general, the best compromise for mobile DJ work is dedicated tops with subs.

The default advice for a PA system will be the B52 Matrix 1000v2. That system includes two tops and a sub, and all the electronics needed to make it work. You will need speaker stands, and some longer cables. Figure $1k out the door. That system will handle parties to about 2500-3000 sqft with 150-ish people. For smaller venues, turn it down at the mixer.

If you are planning to expand much beyond those venues/crowd sizes, the passive speakers with external amps & electronics are a better value...and the value increases as the system scales up.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mylestec View Post
    Yo.. I have had some bad experiences with Behringer products.. unfortunately
    Behringer got a reputation for bad quality by earning it.

In recent years, they have made a good turn around with some reliable gear. I think it is a mistake to offer a general warning against Behringer at this point, especially for people with limited budgets who need entry level gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylestec View Post
    a pair of used FBTs might be your best bet.. these are Italian speaks which were the design basis for the Mackie SRM 450's... They aren't as powerful, but they sound super clean... and the bigger woofer moves more air which means outdoor parties will rock harder... Now... if you've really got a big budget.........
    The SRM450 is OK at best. The low end rolls off really fast below 70Hz, and the mids are not clear enough for my taste. I have not heard the FBTs for comparison.

Outdoors, the rule of thumb is to being 2x to 4x the cabinet count to keep "similar" SPL levels when compared to indoors. A pair of powered tops on sticks will not rock an outdoor party.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Behringer got a reputation for bad quality by earning it.
    My sentiments exactly.

The SRM450 is OK at best. The low end rolls off really fast below 70Hz, and the mids are not clear enough for my taste.
    With you here as well... there seems to be a soft roll around 180hz to 300hz depending on how much low end the driver is trying to produce.. white and pink noise produce a flat signal though.

I have not heard the FBTs for comparison.
    In my opinion I feel the sound of the FBTs is more transparent. Also, the high frequencies have a vivaciousness that the 450's lack. I find 450's can be harsh around 1khz - 2khz range. As with the 450's there is a roll-off below 70hz, but my ears tell me it is much a much shallower curve than the 450's... Actually.. I just finished a sound check for a mobile setup tonight. Big room 75' x 35' x 40' (high) Sound tech provided 4 FBTs on sticks with one 18" JBL driver in a custom sub cabinet. The FBTs hold enough of their own so we crossed over at 78hz with a shallow curve.. Sub is only needed for fill and at Neg 2db with the room empty... probably increase it to +2 when the room fills up.. the FBTs produce a nice fat low mid section with flat eq settings..

Outdoors, the rule of thumb is to being 2x to 4x the cabinet count to keep "similar" SPL levels when compared to indoors. A pair of powered tops on sticks will not rock an outdoor party.
    = everyone standing still.

Mackie TH-15A Thumps

Get a pair for $600 and never look back.

You can add a subwoofer later to really push it if you need it to be louder for more people.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.