creative controller set up/ worst idea ever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default creative controller set up/ worst idea ever?

Check the attachment.
    Seriously how bad an idea would this be...? After picking apart what I like and don't like about the S4, I came up with this as an alternative.

It would save a couple hundred dollars, and I'd have to buy a sound card.
    I would also have to build some kind of case that would hold it all together.

I'd be doing a 4 deck set up in Traktor.

--------------
    So far my plan would be:

I'd just be running the instant gratification mapping on the midi fighter. (never used one before, but I'm assuming I'd have to use the top 4 buttons to control which deck the midi fighter is controlling? true?)

The crossfader on the right standalone jogwheel controller would be the main crossfader. And I'm thinking the left one would switch between decks A/B and decks C/D.

browsing, EQ, filter, cue points, looping and tempo all would be controlled by the two nanokontrols. Whatever buttons, faders and knobs were leftover would go to controlling FX.

-----------
    I'd have to use a powered usb hub, I know that.

What about midi channels... Has anyone ever tried using 5 different controllers in traktor before?

Are there any issues that I'm not seeing here...?

is saving a couple of hundred $$'s before or after also having to buy a soundcard?

shouldn't be any issue with using 5 devices in traktor - also frees up modifiers in effect - as you have 8 per device then. sharing modifiers between devices can be a pain - but no clue if you'd want/need to do that anyway.

i have a nanokontrol series1 and not sure i'd fancy playing out with it - just seems a bit small and fiddly to me - at least if you want to use the buttons. not sure how the series 2 compares.

i suspect you'd want to be able to individually select A/C or B/D rather than a blanket A+B or C+D tho i havent tried using a 4 deck setup, just been using sample decks and not been assigning them to the crossfader anyway.

yep re: the 4banks mode for instant grat - the top row selects the deck.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

now here is the thing about this setup. Almost every peice of equipment you have their except the midifighter is really a piece of crap. They all break easily and that is probably why they are cheap. I know that the VTT 101s feel good (i have tried a pair) but they will only last you 3 or 4 months. For all that money, you could probably buy a midifighter and an omni control or a hercules RMX. If you are shooting for entry level DJing then go for one of those two and a midifighter to get you on your feet

Look at this thread. I am not an entry level DJ but I can probably map this to be similar to an s4 or something
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31550
    Last edited by DJ_Pabloco; 06-09-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    is saving a couple of hundred $$'s before or after also having to buy a soundcard?
    Total cost of this set up would be ~$500 excluding shipping costs. I'd just buy an audio 2 DJ, bringing to total cost to about $600

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i suspect you'd want to be able to individually select A/C or B/D rather than a blanket A+B or C+D tho i havent tried using a 4 deck setup, just been using sample decks and not been assigning them to the crossfader anyway.
    Yeah, My current set up is as such... and I don't think I could live without it, I could probably just use the cue buttons on each VTT 101... But i was hoping to use them as sync buttons.... also, I can't think of anythign to do with the spare cossfader haha... Ideas?

I'm not worried at all about the VTT 101's breaking.... every review I can find claims they're perfectly sturdy... Also they're $100 bucks... and I can just open and solder them if they break anyways.

I am concerned with the nanokontrol 2's, though... anyone have any experience with them... do they feel like cheap breakable crap?

Quote Originally Posted by vox5505 View Post
    I am concerned with the nanokontrol 2's, though... anyone have any experience with them... do they feel like cheap breakable crap?
    i wouldn't say my nanokontrol series1 feels crap - it's quite sturdy - given its mostly one piece of plastic + the faceplate and controls etc. plus they say the series 2 is made quite a bit better....

i'm just not keen on the buttons on mine - too small and can get latched in by mistake sometimes. i'm planning on just using the transport section on mine, with faders to control tracks in ableton. the pots don't feel too bad either tho...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

the new nano kontrol 2's are a lot better made than the first ones

Tech Guru

Too many controllers!
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

nanokontrols are good, but they won't stand up to DJing use. You can forget fader slamming. Likewise those DJ-Tech things will most likely have the build quality of a paper bag.

I'd suggest you get 1 good controller rather than a load of crap ones. For example, in a few weeks you'll be able to get the novation twitch for the same money. Or one of the reloop controllers.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Twitch doesn't have jogs. You can buy a used VCI and a midi fighter for that much money.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

that too.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast