Torque talk: Stanton T62
    Tech Mentor

Default Torque talk: Stanton T62

Craving some turntables and I found a set of second-hand Stanton T62s and a M212 mixer for $450 AUD. Figured if I was able to sell the mixer for $100ish (I've got an X-session) then that would give me two tables for around $350.

I've read they have very low torque. I'm a mix dj rather than a scratcher (tech house, techno). I'm wondering if I'd get away with low torque (thinking a dvs setup with TSP2, Audio6 and X1) or am I just wasting my time and money and I should just try and save for some more substantial tables (e.g. St150s or sl1210s). I know there's no comparison between cheap and expensive turntables but I'm not keen on such a large investment at the moment and just wondering if the cheaper ones would be okay or is it just not worth it?

I have done some reading on comparing tables but I'm not completely sure I have my head around it and I don't have any hands on experience so I'd be keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

They're not gna be amazing, but they'll probably do the job for now. At least they're direct drive. If saving is an option though, you'll reap the rewards. Have you looked into super OEMs?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

If you are a mix DJ don't worry about the torque. Even if you did want to scratch a bit they would be fine. I actually have cheaper turntables than the 62's I have the 60's. They're great. I mainly bought them to learn how to beatmatch years back. 80 bucks for the pair with a really bad mixer that I just threw away. I read so many bad reviews about the torque. But here you have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1YWmTl5V4I

While the scratching isn't say that of cut chemist or qbert, he does slice it up pretty good, on what is probably considered to be the lowest en DD turtable

Tech Mentor

^^Thats actually not bad
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Tech Mentor

Saving is always an option but just thinking at this stage the smaller investment might be wiser.

I've looked into Super OEMs a little but not sure if they're that readily available here in Aus - they would be a good option though.

@armyofme: Yeah I noticed your 60s in the yoursetup thread (great setup and lovely pics by the way) and that started me thinking they might be okay. I'm getting them to work on my beatmatching, so I guess if I'm light enough on my touch.. it shouldn't cause me too many problems? I've read that getting some good slipmats helps with the low torque too.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by funlife View Post
    Saving is always an option but just thinking at this stage the smaller investment might be wiser.

I've looked into Super OEMs a little but not sure if they're that readily available here in Aus - they would be a good option though.

@armyofme: Yeah I noticed your 60s in the yoursetup thread (great setup and lovely pics by the way) and that started me thinking they might be okay. I'm getting them to work on my beatmatching, so I guess if I'm light enough on my touch.. it shouldn't cause me too many problems? I've read that getting some good slipmats helps with the low torque too.
    Yeah u can be a little rough with them. Get some butter rugs, or cut some wax paper and put it beTween the slip mat and the turntable top

Tech Mentor

Did some reading on butter rugs / wax paper and looks that that or some plastic would compensate well.

However, now I'm thinking that stretching a bit more for some SL1210s or St150s would not be too unrealistic (just need to be a bit more patient). Leaning toward Sl1210s for durability - though they seem very similar overall.

But thanks for the advice, I didn't know much about torque and techniques to compensate before.

If your leaning towards the the technics, if you get sick of beatmatching, they're a hell of a lot easier to sell on again than the stantons.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

True, that's probably what's going to sway me