The sync button is saving my life & I dont like it!!
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default The sync button is saving my life & I dont like it!!

Ok, I'm DJing in a massive (around 8,500 capacity apparently although I think thats an exaggeration) night club. Last night I did the main room which if it's an 8,500 capacity club has gotta be like 5,500 peeps. Anyway, I'm having serious issues with being able to mix in there, the sound system is so fucking boomy! It's not nice and tight and punchy like other systems I have used. It's just fucking ridiculous!... from the DJ booth anyway. It's a massive Funktion One sound system but I dont think its set up right, I reckon its been set up for maximum loudness rather quality.

Thing is other DJ's seem to be able to use it no problem so I dunno what the fuck is up. Im thinking maybe I've damaged my ears to the point where Im having trouble I dunno. If it werent for the sync button i dunno where i'd be. I'd probably be looking quite a fool by now. I might be tripping, I might be fine but its just Im thinking the mix might sound fucked so Im instantly jumping on the sync button before I get a chance to fully raise both faders in confidence. I'm seriously considering maybe getting in-ear monitors. Laidback Luke plays in the same club & thats what I saw him use.

I followed a relatively big DJ last night so it was a full house & I used the sync button on pretty much every mix purely out of peace of mind as this was an official summer opening party so the first night they had a big DJ in there this summer. Shit loads of peeps, all the bosses watching etc. Im thinking maybe I should just go for it next time and not touch the sync button.

Anyway, anyone experience anything like this? Anyone know if its possible to try before you buy on in ear monitors or any recommendations on models?

Thanks

I use earplugs wherever i go and on-ear headphones on top, drowns out most of the background sound and dosent damage your hearing from having the headphones up a bit louder
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I use earplugs wherever i go and on-ear headphones on top, drowns out most of the background sound and dosent damage your hearing from having the headphones up a bit louder
    yep, though where I usually play stateside is not nearly as big, the boom where I dj from is fucking horrible and milliseconds off the highs. I put on my over the ears sony headphones atop two plugs and all is good. I still feel the subs on my feet and chest but can mix with comfort, albeit the drivers on my headphones are starting to wear as a result.

Tech Guru

could be to do with poor monitoring options in the booth
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Arent your monitors controlled via the mixer anyway? if so, turn the bastards down
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

i use westone um2's when djing in loud environments. In ears take a while to get used to, but are worth it! btw be careful of the mixer volume when plugging in, as these will blow ur ears if u are not careful. They offer 25 db of ambient noise reduction, great for saving ur hearing!

yeh, my suggestion would be IEMs.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

a little more info regarding your monitoring setup would be nice but from your OP... sounds to me like you're trying to mix using the main sound system to monitor your mixes rather than a booth monitor.

you'll always have a hard time trying to mix off the main's and it should never be done (circumstances permitting.. ie booth monitor craps out)

Isn't the rule of thumb 1ms latency per foot you are away from the monitor? Add whatever latency you have from your gear.... Boom + delay = dismay - that's what Aunt Agatha used to say (before she was beaten to death by a scotch egg)
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

I usually mix in the headphones rather than use a monitor if the club is really loud
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast