Beatgridding on Traktor with tracks that drift
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beatgridding on Traktor with tracks that drift

Just a question about Traktor's beat gridding - I've started doing the following when tracks drift in BPM.

Set:

Cue 1: Load
    Cue 2: Grid (in same spot usually)
    Cue 3: Grid (about, say, 16 bars in)

I then get the space between grid 2 and 3 gridded, then repeat further down the track.

Any thoughts on this method?

Sometimes I notice that stuff I've done later in the track (in between cue 6 and 7 for instance) effects something eariler in the track - how would this be the case? Surely each section's grid should be somewhat independent?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prettyconfused View Post
    Surely each section's grid should be somewhat independent?
    Nope... every grid on the track will be the same cus Traktor can only use one BPM on a track so no matter how many grids you apply they will all be of te same BPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Nope... every grid on the track will be the same cus Traktor can only use one BPM on a track so no matter how many grids you apply they will all be of te same BPM.
    So it's pointless putting in 2 (or more) grid markers then?

Yes, but you can use ableton to warp the track

Putting 2 grids are for tracks the stay at their bpm but end up in an odd place after the breakdown.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prettyconfused View Post
    So it's pointless putting in 2 (or more) grid markers then?
    Not always... A trick i use is to put a grid at the start of a track if the first bar or 2 bars are on the grid and use this to bring the track into a mix.
    The grid will drift throughout the track.
    The put a grid at the end of the track for the last 2 bars. You very often find that the 2 grid will be the same its just the middle of the track where it goes all out of whack.

Doesnt always work but it often does and it give you an Intro and an Outro to sync to other tracks.

Obviously synced FX dont sound great but...

I dont bother warping tracks cus if im that fussed ill just beatmatch but warping is a good solution.

Default Warping tracks in Ableton is needed for....

I've been a "mobile DJ"; weddings & parties. Recently elected to take Dubspot's "digital DJing" course online.

My goal was to take what DJ Endo refers to as "live music", that is, stuff played by humans and mix it (phrase mixing). I was struggling to get a decent beatgrid onto old school dance music.

The advice he gave was to warp the track in Ableton and then bring it into Traktor to do your phrase mixing.

I understand what Karlos is saying about putting grids on intro and outro so you can go from one to the next. BUT if your goal is doing phrase mixing with your "live" tracks you really need to go the Ableton route.

dennis

Interesting. I was watching the video below from Ean trying to learn more about beat gridding and to the right of the blog noticed this thread in "Hot Topics in the Community Forum".

I think this video actually is explaining the same thing prettyconfused is asking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5gr...layer_embedded

Basically you need to set grids in smaller parts of the tracks so they match to the beat as closely as possible. As I understand it, with "non-quantized" musik it is more difficult to beat grid as the drummer or the band's rythm sways and could actually change dramatically over the length of the song, as shown by Ean with the Led Zeppelin classic. If the beat grid is properly set for the parts of the track you want to sync, you shouldn't have any issues with the mix.

scamo

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I set two grids markers like Karlos does and will usually start a loop at both of those. Alot of that older house and stuff that drifts you can also nudge into sync.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Set a grid marker in the beginning, set the bpm so the grid is rock solid for the first 4-8 beats or so (depending on how much beats you need to mix it in), and write that BPM in the grid marker (you can add comments to cue points). Then find another 4-8 beats at the end of tune where the beat is pretty stable, add a grid marker then and find the corresponding BPM and add it to the comments.

Whenever you want to mix that tune in, change the BPM to the BPM of the first grid marker, as soon as it's in you change the BPM to the BPM of the second marker and mix it out when you reach that marker.
    Ean made a video about this, I believe it was with Killing In The Name Of.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast