Using the upcoming Novation Twitch with external mixer + need some guidance...

Default Novation Twitch with external mixer + need some guidance...

Hello all, excuse me for the rookie question, but just wondering about changing my setup to include the Novation Twitch. I've found that I don't really use jog wheels as much (on my dn-sc2000) and tend to create mashups simply with cue points. The pads on the bottom of the Twitch look good for my workflow. Could it be used with an external mixer? I'd be using the DDM4k. Would that be a sweet set-up (of just mixer + twitch) or would it be unnecessary/overkill since the Twitch has a mixer section in it (the DDM4k has its own sweet set of features as well though) ?

I'm basically torn between saving up for the Twitch or saving up for the dn-mc6000 (selling my sc2000). I've had my eyes on the mc6000 for a long time but I go back and forth so much trying to figure out whether or not I really need the jogwheels! I am not a scratch dj but there's just something about not having platters that bothers me. I absolutely love the size of the mc6000 and everything about it. (Yes, I know the mc6000 is basically 2 sc2000's put together. I still do enjoy my sc2000!)

Anyone else also have this problem? I think it's still early for me and my guilty pleasure is thinking too much about changing my setup all the time, when I should be focusing on just practicing with what I have.

I'm basically at a crossroads where I'm ready to drop the required amount of money to settle down with my setup. With my beatmatching skills not up to par yet, I have to make a decision between

1) going towards the controllerist direction (Twitch, no jogwheels) and mix by setting up all cue points beforehand, never really feeling confident to drop in songs that have not been beatgridded/cue'd OR

2) go with the mc6000 and have the ability to hone my mixing skills down the line. This is why I'm leaning towards the mc6000!

I guess you could say I'm still finding my way with dj'ing...any thoughts?

Thanks for reading this! I'm sure I could have written this in fewer words. DJTT forum is the best distraction from pathology :-P
    Last edited by GI Trackt; 06-12-2011 at 09:34 PM.

The twitch would work with an external mixer if you did a bit of fiddling with cables, you can set the booth output to cue then route your second channel to that and you have 4 independent outputs, but one of them is unbalanced RCA and the other is balanced TRS. That's fine with the right cables though.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Such is the (sometimes) heated discussion regarding sync etc I should probably qualify this post by saying I'm not starting a sync debate, I think both sync and beatmatching approaches have their strengths and weaknesses.

I am / was at a similar crossroad re controllerist or jogwheels etc.

I started off with sync, a keyboard mapping and a mixer. I would have been the first to tell you beatmatching is a mechanical process and you're better off focusing on doing stuff a computer can't do - cue points, eqing etc. An X1 or two and a mixer is all I would need.

However, I've now decided I'd like to acquire the ability to beatmatch -there's no rule saying it has to be one or the other and I think its definitely worth working on both beatmatching and the other more 'artistic' things. A wide skill set will only make you better.

To that end I've decided (at least for the moment) to save for some tables and hone my beatmatching. I'd like to get across CDJs at some point too - you never know when your laptop might decide not to come to the party. To me there'll be something nice about having two tracks sit together without sync - because at the moment its something I can't do quickly or with complete confidence. Really looking forward to the feel of vinyl.

So to cut it short, can't you use your sc2000 to keep a jogwheel and work on your beatmatching and then grab the Twitch for some cuepoint action? That said, there are lots of DJs who are getting down without jogwheels so it's purely personal choice

Fullenglishpint, thanks for the info. Will definitely look into it.

Funlife, thanks for sharing man. I could definitely keep my setup and add the Twitch as you said. Thanks for your input !