Wonderfuck... Please rate & comment

Cool Wonderfuck... Please rate & comment

My first recorded dubstep mix. I would love it if you'd give it a listen & give back some honest opinions/feedback/critiques, whatever, thanks in advance.

http://mixcrate.com/mix/51122/Chris-...bstep-Mini-Mix
    Last edited by chrismoon27; 06-18-2011 at 11:34 PM.

It's a start, but for one thing your gains and levels are all over the place. There are some very quiet parts, like from 26mins to 27mins, and every transition seems to be fading the volume of the old track with no EQing while playing a quiet intro part of the new track. That really draws attention to the old track being faded out (listen at 32.30).

You haven't really maintained the energy through the mix. Imagine people dancing but there's a big volume drop ever couple of minutes. Get the hang of phrasing, so you can accurately place drops and buildups for good effect. Dubstep's basically made for this, for example if one track has a breakdown coming up, you can time it so that you have 4 bars of a massive buildup in the new track over the breakdown in the other, balancing the bass with EQs, then killing the old track without an obvious slow fade down just as the new track drops. That's just one method of many.

What I'm basically saying is don't be too scared to play parts of one song over another at the same time, and learn how to EQ properly so that you don't end up trainwrecking by doing so.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    It's a start, but for one thing your gains and levels are all over the place. There are some very quiet parts, like from 26mins to 27mins, and every transition seems to be fading the volume of the old track with no EQing while playing a quiet intro part of the new track. That really draws attention to the old track being faded out (listen at 32.30).

You haven't really maintained the energy through the mix. Imagine people dancing but there's a big volume drop ever couple of minutes. Get the hang of phrasing, so you can accurately place drops and buildups for good effect. Dubstep's basically made for this, for example if one track has a breakdown coming up, you can time it so that you have 4 bars of a massive buildup in the new track over the breakdown in the other, balancing the bass with EQs, then killing the old track without an obvious slow fade down just as the new track drops. That's just one method of many.

What I'm basically saying is don't be too scared to play parts of one song over another at the same time, and learn how to EQ properly so that you don't end up trainwrecking by doing so.
    Thanks for the critiques man. Would you happen to know a good dubstep mix that I could check out & maybe learn a thing or two...

Check out the Dubstep mix battle. Most of them are pretty good, although I there's a horrible clash at the beginning of 'not to be hated'. I liked 'I hope no bad people show up', '13 minutes of bass', 'fabricated existence' and 'Alcohol Helped'.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Check out the Dubstep mix battle. Most of them are pretty good, although I there's a horrible clash at the beginning of 'not to be hated'. I liked 'I hope no bad people show up', '13 minutes of bass', 'fabricated existence' and 'Alcohol Helped'.
    Thanks for the help man

no worries. Practice and enjoy!