Change my VCI100SE for an iPad 2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Change my VCI100SE for an iPad 2?

Opinion please.
    I've a VCI100SE (1.4 FW with tasty arcade buttons). The features are fantastic, I like it lots (actually not so keen on the arcade buttons, prefer my Akai LPD8 pads) but I'm considering selling it for an iPad 2 to use as an alternative controller for Traktor.
    Am I crazy?

Firstly, it means I can get my paws on a shiny iPad BUT will I be able to use it for proper live DJing (using apps like Touch OSC) and would I miss the VCI?

I plan to move back to using external mode mixing with an analogue mixer so I don't lose the use of real faders and gain/EQ knobs. One of my regular gigs involves me using DVS vinyl setup with the club's house mixer anyway so I've never needed the VCI for anything other than home use and the odd house party but I'll have the mixer. I like the idea of a good touchscreen but with some hands on buttons and tings.

I hope to be able to map TouchOSC to get similar control that the VCI gives (I expect it to be difficult, DJTT's VCI mapping is super tight) and I guess having the iPad would give me more flexibility in the future (ie as new fancy apps arrive)

I've tried TouchOSC with my iPhone but never got round to fathoming the seemingly complicated setup. I want the iPad setup to be as simple as poss and reliable. Ive heard about using a wired USB setup (with apples camera connection kit or using MyWi style apps for wired tethering via the iPad USB cable) but also understand that using it wirelessly via an ad-hoc wifi connection is ok for good latency. Thoughts?

Questions:

- Are there any better altenatives to touch osc bearing in mind I'd prefer to stick with Traktor / any Traktor 'skins' (like Emulator) that can run on an iPad?

- What do people think of these dedicated apps for running Virtual DJ etc?
    I'm not interested in using the iPad on it's own without a laptop for anything other than for fun with DJ apps. I look forward to the day that an iPad can run Traktor (properly) with decent storage etc so right now I want to use is as a midi controller.

- Am I going to potentially run into other problems when playing that I haven't considered?
    Am I maybe being seduced by the idea of using a fancy iPad?

Ps I have a windows 7 laptop, Traktro Scratch Pro 1 and an Audio4DJ (and a an analogue mixer plus an Akai LPD8 I could dig out for extra button mashing)
    Last edited by DirtyDeluxe; 06-13-2011 at 09:36 AM.

I'd keep hold of the VCI or at least swap for an equivalent, because personally I don't like using touch screens for things like cue points. I prefer the feel of a button.

But that's just me.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Or you could just give the VCI to me...

re-sell value of a VCI isn't very high at the moment (although you might get a better price due to the arcade mod).

I own an ipad and there's no way that I'd use it as my primary midi controller for dj'ing... that's just a personal preference though.

Quote Originally Posted by aligned View Post
    Or you could just give the VCI to me...
    Do you have an unwanted ipad2?

Good point re the value. I paid £320 for it (used) a month ago so I would need to drop at least another 100 for a 'pad.

I've never found touch screens good for precise stuff, I've always been a hands-on man but I'm keen on new tech. I don't think I could use it as a main controller. I'm primarily a hip hop, funk, soul, disco DJ and ocassionally a party DJ so I apart from creative stuff at home, I don't tend to do much fx and filtering, but some DVS scratching and cue point triggering so usuable virtual pads and a real crossfader is important.

I guess I'm not getting the most from the VCI. Maybe I need to ask myself 'do I really need the VCI at all for what I do?', flog it, put it towards a fancy ipad then see how I could use the ipad to enhance what I do?
    Knowing me, I'll probably be buying a Novation Twitch or summat in 6 months! I'm just a fickle bastard trying to find the perfect setup.

I do like the idea of being able to install new apps and stuff as they develop instead of changing a whole controller to get new features (which is essentially what I've been doing in the past 6 months: Akai LPD8, then a Numark NS7 which I sold for the VCI not long after).

Aargh! Too many cool kit options! (grumble grumble but goodie goodie). Reminds me of a Bill Bailey quote:
    Argos with the laminated book of dreams, You know why its laminated don’t you? To catch the tears of joy, “so many wonderful things, I cannot posses them all...”
    I digress.

What to do...

Novation twitch ftw! I'm getting hands on with it this friday, can't wait...

Don't make any rash purchases without thinking everything through. That's what I do and... no wait, I still don't regret any of it
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Novation twitch ftw! I'm getting hands on with it this friday, can't wait...

Don't make any rash purchases without thinking everything through. That's what I do and... no wait, I still don't regret any of it
    Sweet. Clearly a man after my own heart.
    I could see myself using that with DVS vinyl.

I do actually find myself worrying about whether or not I've got the right setup, I'm always thinking of new ways to run stuff and connect up etc. It's a bit obsessive, bordering on OCD. I have to remind myself sometimes to keep concentrating on planning the right music and actually practicing!
    It's a curse.. I guess I'm not alone in this company

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDeluxe View Post
    Am I crazy?
    Yep

iPads are for chilling at the pool not dj'ing

my 2 pence
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDeluxe View Post

I do actually find myself worrying about whether or not I've got the right setup
    I think you may have some undiagnosed RGAS.

I recommend a 1hr mix tape on your lastest setup before you carry on with your purchase.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast