How to deal with dividing set slots
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to deal with dividing set slots

Hey everyone,

So basically I've got a gig coming up that I hustled hard to get and basically I'm setting this up for myself and 3 other DJs.

The issue, is that last gig we set up flopped pretty badly, a mixture of UFC and avicii on the same night really hurt us bad. So what happened was that because I hustled hard for our last gig (i was the one who got it booked and everything) I got first dibs on a playing slot which was 12-1. The rest kind of shottied or "called" for their slot.

This time around once again I'm setting up the event, and because I'm setting it up, and basically giving these other DJs a gig, I figure it's only right that I get to choose my favourite slot, so i'm picking 12-1. The gig is kind of last minute so i just threw it up in a facebook message and everyone scrambled for their slot.

The unfortunate thing is that the two guys who opened and closed last event, got stuck with the same opening and closing slots as last gig. Considering they were basically spinning for an empty dancefloor (opener) and the closer got a really shitty slot 2-3 which he ended about 20-30 mins in because no one was at the club.

Now the opener and closer are upset about getting shafted again, to a point where one of the guys said he didn't want to do it (I feel bad, because he really did get a shitty bargain). I really want to be fair and coordinate the times fairly, but I don't want to do all the work of getting the venues lined up and the gigs, just to be screwed into playing a shitty time to make someone else happy.

To be clear, I haven't really received any gigs from these guys, except one of the DJs offered me a gig a few weeks ago that I had to turn down, and another guy did me a favour and tried to master a mix for me, which was a really good job. So its not like I'm really making an awesome return on investment getting these guys to spin, but they spin the right music.

I also feel like I have a moral obligation to bring these guys along, since we did set out as a team at the beginning of summer to setup our gigs, we all messaged different venues and managers. But I guess I'm just the best at doing business? I get the feeling the others are just lazy fucks.

How should I go about this?

thanks, in advance.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

and because I'm setting it up, and basically giving these other DJs a gig, I figure it's only right that I get to choose my favourite slot, so i'm picking 12-1.
    No, the question is: are you the best to fit this particular slot (or is the music you play is the one that fits the most). You should have a global view here if you are the 'promoter' (and may be you have, and may be you're the best fit).

but I don't want to do all the work of getting the venues lined up and the gigs,
    Meeting time! To have a serious discussion about it and eventually redistribute the tasks and makes things clear.

a mixture of UFC and avicii on the same night really hurt us bad.
    wow....makes you wonder where or for who you play

Well I think it's fair that whoever gets the gig, gets to choose their spot..

As for including them, I would.
    You might need them in future.
    SC | MC

Sounds like you're the de facto leader of this team, so if you want to make it a success you'll have to keep your team sweet. If you can't get the personel you won't keep the gig, so arguing about set times will be moot.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    No, the question is: are you the best to fit this particular slot (or is the music you play is the one that fits the most). You should have a global view here if you are the 'promoter' (and may be you have, and may be you're the best fit).
    I'm the most experienced, that's how I got the connections to get us into venues.

Meeting time! To have a serious discussion about it and eventually redistribute the tasks and makes things clear.
    We already went over this last gig, but because shit went down badly, everyone wants to look out for themselves.

Toronto is a city of 3 million people, which arguably maybe 200,000 are party goers. Considering that 55, 000 juiced up guidos were watching UFC that night at the rogers centre, and tens of thousands more at bars and pubs, and then another 6000 at Avicii, really means that all the girls who would normally go out with all those guys at UFC didn't go out, and obviously neither did the guys. All the clubs that my other DJs buds spun at lost money that night.

Dunno why you gotta come out and hate like that, but if that gets you to sleep at night here <3
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Sounds like you're the de facto leader of this team, so if you want to make it a success you'll have to keep your team sweet. If you can't get the personel you won't keep the gig, so arguing about set times will be moot.
    The owner and managers for all they know it's just me spinning, they don't care who else is spinning, because they know me and what I bring. I'm not under any obligation to keep the other DJs except for moral obligation, and connections and to keep the peace.
    My Mixcloud Page!

Well I think it's fair that whoever gets the gig, gets to choose their spot..
    That's my point, it's not about being "fair", it's about running a successful event; that is the difference between amateurs and pros (no personal offence to whoever intended at all). But as I said if you're the best fit and you're making the gig to happen, go for it, don't have a doubt.

That's my point, it's not about being "fair", it's about running a successful event; that is the difference between amateurs and pros (no personal offence to whoever intended at all). But as I said if you're the best fit and you're making the gig to happen, go for it, don't have a doubt.
    I know, what I want to know is how to split the other Guys' times.
    My Mixcloud Page!

Quote:
    Toronto is a city of 3 million people, which arguably maybe 200,000 are party goers. Considering that 55, 000 juiced up guidos were watching UFC that night at the rogers centre, and tens of thousands more at bars and pubs, and then another 6000 at Avicii, really means that all the girls who would normally go out with all those guys at UFC didn't go out, and obviously neither did the guys. All the clubs that my other DJs buds spun at lost money that night.

Dunno why you gotta come out and hate like that, but if that gets you to sleep at night here <3
    I think you're misunderstood me. As a european, that makes me wonder (because the ufc isn't 'that' popular in my country, because the time slots aren't the same, etc...). It wasn't a judgement in a sense. And please expand your vocabulary, that's not "hating". Chill out.

I think you're misunderstood me. As a european, that makes me wonder (because the ufc isn't 'that' popular in my country, because the time slots aren't the same, etc...). It wasn't a judgement in a sense. And please expand your vocabulary, that's not "hating". Chill out.
    obviously if I misunderstood you you can see why I thought you were "hating" please forgive me.
    My Mixcloud Page!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast