So a little turntable 101...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default So a little turntable 101...

So I wasn't planning on it, had other ideas where to go, but I fell into a pair of Technics SL-1200 MK2's today. Got the PAIR for $140. Got to love craigslist, don't think the guy knew what he had.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/2430006665.html <~~~ that's the CL ad it you want to see. I saw it, immediately texted the guy, and picked them up this afternoon.

Need to buy carts/needles and whatnot, but I finally got something. And I'm totally fucking psyched about it lol. And hell, I need to buy a mixer as well, but I'm probably going to borrow one from a buddy this weekend for a couple weeks. (He has an extra one kicking around that he has no plans for at the moment).

They spin. And the platters don't have wild movement, checked them in comparison to youtube videos. They are used, but I didn't have a chance to test them with carts, but for the price, I wasn't going to say no. He said he was using them until recently, so at this point, even fixing them isn't going to kill my budget if they are busted, which I don't think they are.

I had been planning on going with a complete Ableton setup, but decided to learn on a traditional method first, and then slowly bring in Ableton as I progress as an actual DJ, rather than just a live performance as a producer. I was going to buy CDJ's at the end of the month, but... sometimes fate has it's place I guess. I didn't think I was going to be able to afford good tables and a DVS, and now I can. My working budget is $1000, and so this is almost too perfect.

But I don't know the first thing about setting up my tables. Straight up. I feel like a complete noob, which I am in this respect.

I'm planning at the moment on picking up a pair of:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E2LZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O"]Amazon.com: Shure M44-7H Scratch Cartridge with Headshell: Ace Photo Digital@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YVURlPH3L.@@AMEPARAM@@41YVURlPH3L[/ame]

Talked with my buddy who has a pair of MK5's, and those are what he's running with and is happy with, and so it seems like a solid enough investment. It also means that we would have the same carts, which would be good "just in case" for any given reason.

Anyone have any other suggestions for carts?
    Any specific brands of slip-mats that are worth buying?
    Anything else I need to know?

I'm thinking about taking them down to a local shop and having them calibrated and tested, and the pop-up lights need to be replaced (I know I /can/ do it, but I'm afraid of pulling them apart right away). I know it will run a touch, but there's something to be said for having someone who knows what they are doing look it over.

I'm still debating between Traktor and SSL for a DVS solution though. I won't be buying one until the end of the month, but shit. It's now a choice I really have to make.

So as someone who's been messing about with Ableton, has some experience with dealing and spinning on tables, but not the actual setup and upkeep, where the hell do I start?

Thinking get the mixer from my buddy, buy the carts, and buy a couple records and then just start from there.

Planning on going down to Boston to the record store over the weekend, pick up a few. http://www.trainspottersmusic.com/ is the shop, always have heard about it but never have been (never had tables before...) apparently the only DnB record shop in the USA and it's not far away, fuckin ill.

ugh. So fucking excited lol. I'm sure you guys know the feeling.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

f*****ckkkk.....cant believe i missed that

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    f*****ckkkk.....cant believe i missed that
    Man, I wasn't even sure what I was getting myself into when I texted him. Spelt wrong, and no pictures. Sometimes going out on a limb pays off I guess lol.

Really though, I've been searching CL everyday for months waiting for a deal like this. It happens, you just have to be stupid patient. (or broke lol)

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can't go wrong with those Shure's and here's a good source for slipmat info.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews_slipmats.php

The record shop you're going to should probably have some and most labels will sell branded slipmats on their websites. If you get some heavier slipmats you can put wax paper underneath them between the platter and the slipmat to make it slip better.

Oh, and you suck!!! I call dibs for when/if you ever want to get rid of them.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

:O That's the score to end all scores.

Lots of people like those Shure's. I'm a fan of Ortofon concordes, though. Nightclub Mk-II will set you back a bit of cash, but they run super loud. Will you be scratching?

One thing you should learn to do yourself is set the balance of the tonearm correctly (because it depends entirely on the headshell/carts you use). There's a bunch of youtube vids that explain this perfectly.

Welcome to last century, bro. You'll enjoy it here
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Yeah I was/am tossed between the Whitelabels and the M44-7's at the moment. Probably just going with the M44-7's because my buddy also uses them.

One thing that is completely frustrating though. I have a buddy who uses Torq with a pair of Numark TT100 tables. I went and chilled with him for a bit today, and wanted to talk gear with him. He knows absolutely nothing about carts, setting weights... anything really. I know he uses a numark and a stanton needle (not that big a difference for timecode, but still). It's just frustrating at times when you need information, know someone who's great at mixing, but knows nothing about the equipment lol. But hey, he does what he does well, and that's all that matters.

And yeah. I was practically shitting myself the entire drive home.

Also, I don't plan on scratching off the bat at least. My first thing is going to learn how to manually beatmatch blindfolded with a hand tied behind my back. After that I'll feel more comfortable bringing out all the neat stuff the last 10 years have come up with digitally, and also start playing around with scratching. I plan on playing mostly Dubstep, DnB, Drumstep, House, and Breaks... (I know, a wide variety... but sometimes you have different moods eh?). Scratching and the whole controllerism thing... isn't particularly where I want to go with it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Oh and if you're looking at using Ableton and DVS then Serato and the Bridge deserves a serious look imo.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

great deal.

you Americans have an amazing craigslist so many bargains its untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Oh and if you're looking at using Ableton and DVS then Serato and the Bridge deserves a serious look imo.
    Yeah, that's where I'm leaning at the moment. I just need to figure out if I'll be okay with the SL1, or if I should pony up for the SL2 or SL3 (SL3 for ease of recording).

The bridge has always interested me, and I think it's an excellent integration that's often overlooked. I haven't had a chance to see it in use, or messed with it, but it's basically how I imagine my workflow would work. Mix on the tables for other peoples songs, and bring in elements of my own production work on the fly. Can't beat that integrated into one really. I think just talking it out, I just sold the idea to myself lol.

I really like Traktor though, and that's the only thing I can't get over. I think it has some awesome effects, love the cue points, but can't get over the GUI and the lack of side-by-side waveforms. I know it's not needed, but I really like the feature in Torq and Serato. If I was going the controller route, I'm pretty sure I would do Traktor. But now with the vinyl route, most likely going to be SSL.

Did the SL2 ever get released? I've4 only ever heard of the SL 1 & 3 over here in the UK

I use Thud Rumble Flying Carpets under my slipmats, for extra slippy, but you can use waxed paper or even the plastic liner you sometimes get in 12" sleeves can be cut to shape.

DJ Angelo's guides on youtube are pretty good for learning how to set up a turntable (and the basics of scratching explained damn well)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast