Native instruments pissed me off! Goodbye
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Native instruments pissed me off! Goodbye

I love Traktor and have used upgraded from LE to Pro spending my hard earned money buying midi controllers along the way.

I started DJing with records and want to go back to the tactile feel of them. Whats pissed me off is the price of Traktor scratch 2. IMO its far far too much to pay. They have stopped the crossgrade option and I dont want an audio 8 or 10 as ive got a very good soundcard. You try and contact NI and here sweet fa back.

So what have I done? Ive gone over to the darkside and got myself a copy of Torq with the DVS for £70. If its any good ill upgrade to 2.0 and Native Instruments will be no more.

Anybody here use Torq and Traktor? Id be interested in their opinions. Also anybody know any good Torq based tutorial videos?

Cheers
    BFLY

/人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

I really didn't like torq when I tried it, but I'm sure some people do.

Re. The price, unfortunately you do NEED the NI sound card, as if you didn't the software would be even easier to pirate than it already is. However, since it usually takes the hackers a matter of days to release pirated copies of every new version of TSP, arguably they should allow you to use 3rd party sound cards anyway to cater to a wider audience. But then they'd have a mountain of hate mail on their forum and in the support inbox from people trying and failing to use timecode with a shitty $20 sound card.

I am aware that I put forward no coherent argument there lol. The price also has to include a licence for the timecode system, which is owned by a company called N2IT, not NI, and is therefore out of NI's control.

Basically, if you like torq, go for it, but there are reasons for traktor being expensive.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
    Also anybody know any good Torq based tutorial videos?
    aren't there some on the website?
    http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/

otherwise check out their youtube page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/avid

but know what your saying, i've got to shell out for either a really expensive traktor certified mixer or one of their sound cards to have a dvs. which i'll eventually do, but it'd be nice to be able to do it on a budget or at least let me give the dvs feel a go with a cheaper card before i shell out for an official card.

but then again, i love traktor scratch..
    Mac Mini 2.4ghz Dual Booted OSX 10.6 and XP, TSP2, Numark Mixtrack, iPod Touch with TouchOSC. Gemini XL-500's with a mixer i'm too embarissed to admit!

Check out my easy noob build thread:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31826

Well your £70 investment is worth about £70 I'd say, having tried out Torq 1.x a couple of years ago... not tried 2.0 which is meant to be a little better
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I started DJing with records and want to go back to the tactile feel of them. Whats pissed me off is the price of Traktor scratch 2. IMO its far far too much to pay. They have stopped the crossgrade option and I dont want an audio 8 or 10 as ive got a very good soundcard. You try and contact NI and here sweet fa back.
    tbf, TSP is top a top of the DVS - the other one is around the same price, and if you flogged your whizzy soundcard and Traktor Pro license, I daresay you it'd only be a couple of hundred quid ... and considering Torq is £70 ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

and I dont want an audio 8 or 10 as ive got a very good soundcard.
    What soundcard have you got. If its not an NI A4,6,8,10 then its not enabled for NI DVS... thats standard.

I often read posts like this where people assume that there is a price point up to which they are prepared to pay and then after that they are convinced they are being ripped off.

"i bought Traktor this and traktor that so why do i have to pay for Traktor blah blah'

I agree that the Crossgrade should be brought back. (although its not that simple now that the Audio card have been updated)

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think the older and newer versions of Torq have some pretty significant differences. I would download the 30 day trial of 2.0 before I spent any more money. Not sure if there's any feature limits in the trial or not.

http://apps.avid.com/Torq_trial/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I'm not a fan of Torq…I think it's too cluttered for the features it offers. But people do use it.

As for TSP being expensive…yeah, it is. IMHO, it's not worth it. But I'm kind of over the DVS thing in its entirety. If you're not scratching, I don't see how it adds anything compared to using a controller (and I've owned FS2 and SSL at various points).

And, well…music stuff is just expensive. That's the way it is. The weird thing is that it's a lot cheaper than it used to be. A basic TT setup in the past would cost you between $1000 to $2000 with a mixer that wasn't terribly reliable…and you'd be paying $10/song for vinyl. Now, a good setup can be had for around a grand and entry level's down to a couple hundred. In the production/recording world, things are even more ridiculous. Top-end sound cards cost upwards of $5,000, good software packages are $500 to $1,000, synths can cost a few hundred, and good DAW controllers more or less start at $1500. But that's still a bargain compared to consoles that could cost 7-figures and didn't actually record anything.

And TSP costs, what, $600? SSL can be had for under $500 if you're good at haggling or buy used.

Frankly, I fail to see where "expensive" happens. If your'e not buying CDJ-2000s, DJing is effing cheap.

Imo, you get what you pay for. NI are a premium product with a premium price point. I can understand why this is not for everyone.

It is pretty lame about the lack of crossgrade though..
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast