new to djing, looking for tips, pointers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new to djing, looking for tips, pointers.

im new to djing and basically all i really know right now is top40 and club really, im not exactly sure what genres i can get into. im actually kinda feeling house right now but not sure of what to start listening to to get more into it. like i said im brand new to this, my work ethic is crazy so once i really feel something ill start working with it. im looking for a good genre to throw in with top 40 too. the dj company im starting to train with does alot of clubs and bars and thatll mostly be top40 but top40 can get boring quick in my opt and i need something else to blend in with it and not really sure where to turn. like i said im kinda feeling house, dubstep im not really into or maybe i was listening to the wrong songs. i like high bmp and club like stuff. any suggestions on artists or djs to listen to? i like the martin solveig song hello but then i listened to ready 2 go and wasnt feeling that one at all. im confused right now. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

I think you should actually go to some different partys or maybe even festivals playing different sorts of music.

I fell in love with techno when i just wandered around on a big festival and ended up in the techno area by my own.... the experience amazed me so much i just stayed there for 5 hours without even realising my friends were probably looking for me haha. (Sven Vath, Egbert were playing there and are still some of my biggest inspirations)

I think finding a real identity as a DJ is hard at the beginning... im still wandering around Deep House/Tech House and Techno, not something thats really easy to combine in a 1 hour set.

That would be my advice

Gl!

thank you for the info and ill go on youtube and listen to some of the top djs in the world and i wont feel any of their music, but i do like david guetta though.

Tech Mentor

(You wont feel the music through youtube Its the ambience combined with the music that makes it )

yeah your right about that, for now im thinking house has most of my interest. anyone you recommend?

'House' is a massively wide genre. Arguably it includes everything from minimal electro to hard techno and breaks. Look at the recommended music threads I linked you to, maybe buy a couple of ministry of sound compilations or something. You can't completely rely on others to tell you what music you're going to like, you need to go out and listen to some.

And just a tip, you won't find many david guetta fans on this forum.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

I suggest you go with what you like and go from there. I started with Trance and am still with trance since I love hearing people like Armin Van Buuren, Above & Beyond, Ashley Wallbridge, Rank1... you know where Im going with this..

Djs arent required to mix stuff they hate or as a "starting point" practice with the genre you love and make it unique and over time you should have developed a style of your own.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

I started with david guetta and other (imo horrible) music too... its what you hear when you go out and it was the only thing i knew back then. I think everybod had this at one point though.

I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast