Midi-interface mixing vs cheap mixer
    Tech Convert

Default Midi-interface mixing vs cheap mixer

Hey guys (and gals),

So I'm about to be getting into doing some gigs here for some local house parties and maybe some small festivals (very small) to help get some exposure and get my name out as a DJ and as a producer. I'm gonna be picking up a DVS very shortly and had a question about using a midi interface (Xsession or similar style) as a mixer.

Currently I have a Numark M3 mixer that I picked up when I bought my first decks and was wondering if using a controller, like the Xsession to control the internal mixer, will get me a better sound on the Eq's and such then my current M3. Due to my limited budget for the next few months, I won't have a lot of dough to play with for a little before I can buy a good mixer. I'd also be able to control effects better and all.

I only mix, so the latency wouldn't bother me at all. I'm just worried about getting the best possible sound with what I have to work with at the moment.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Last edited by Dark; 06-15-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Tech Mentor

the cheapest way to mix is ofc a midi controller.
    A standard A2DJ sound card can ensure u a great audio quality if u play 320kpbs mp3s.
    Take into account that if you will upgrade your setup to a DVS using traktor, u'll need a NI sound card.

I use my VCI 100 as a midi mixer and chuck the A8 soundcard output into a POS KAMM mixer that came free with my decks.

MY VCI is damn portable and I know how to use it well, so when I take it with me to play out, Knoe the crossfader doesn't bleed, how to cue the other deck, how the effects work etc.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Convert

Thanks guys!

I was thinking about grabbing the Torq bundle and giving it a whirl, using the Xsession as a mixer and yeah I could slam that through my M3 for now until I can get a nice card and get rid of the external mixer all together. Would that work well?

I would give Torq a try since I haven't had any issues with M-audio thus far, and if I do have problems I could send it back and save up and get Tracktor instead.

Tech Convert

Just figured I'd pop in and let everyone know what I went with.

Got myself a hp laptop (not a huge fan of HP, but it was cheap and is good enough to get job done! Plus I got a deal through my employer. )

I also picked up MixVibes Cross Pack to use as my DVS system, can't pass up a deal on that, especially for in my budget. Heard some good things about it, and I like to be a little bit different then the norm . If I have problems I can return both, but I don't think I will have any at all. The laptop will only be used for small music production ideas while I'm away from my desktop and for Djing.

I believe for now I'm going to use my external Mixer, or even get crazy and use some midi controller apps I have, though I won't use this to do anything live. I do not believe them to be reliable. I might even use my Axiom 25 and remap the Eq's to the knobs and set up the pads for some other mappings for now until I can get the funds to get a Faderfox.