Throwing in dubstep in electro house!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Question Throwing in dubstep in electro house!

Anyone with a good hint or two (apart from echo-freeze) for mixing in dubstep when playing electro house?

Same as any other close genre change. They share a lot of features in terms of bassline, the drums are unlikely to match because dubstep is halftime so avoid mixing the 2 different beats.

Use breakdowns, meet the BPMs in the middle or slow down the dubstep before raising the BPM once it's taken over, all valid techniques. I tend to play electro house at about 130 so the stretch to 140 isn't that far, and as I said using breakdowns helps a lot.

Or echo freeze.

And to any potential dubtrolls, I'm saying it first so you don't have to...

What's a dubstep?

This again.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

i think echo freeze is a terrible technique for two genres thats so close together bpm-wise (at least if you overuse it like i do). in/decreasing bpm during breakdowns should be standard. even mashups of some dubstep song parts with electro tracks and the other way round should sound great. just find two tracks that sound alike and try around. there is alot of electro with dubstep-style wobbles out there right now thats just screaming to be mixed into dubstep.

if electro is too far away bpm- oder soundwise, try to throw some breaks (avg. 135bpm) in between. it's the far superior genre anyway!
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Tech Mentor

I like layering the vocals of a trance track over some breaks-style dubstep.

Play them both at 135 and mix like everything was electro house. All you have to do is turn on key lock.

The only thing you can't do is mix like Skrillix and just hit play on the downbeat after a song ends. That sounds like garbage…but it sounds like amateurish garbage if you're playing all dubstep too, so who cares?

No, the rhythms aren't perfect overlaps, but they're based on the same straight groove…the only real difference is that the snares come on different hits. That whole half-time thing is kind of BS…they are…you can count them as a normal snare on the 2&4 at 70, but it doesn't make any sense to count time to dubstep at 70…it's not like it actually fits with hip hop very well, plus it just doesn't make sense for kicks to come on 1/8th notes in EDM.

I'm really not kidding.

The snares just sound like

2 3 4

instead of

2 4

It's that simple.

BTW, it also works with nu skool breaks, psybreaks, prog house, harder techno, and like 8 billion other genres that can be played at 135. Dubstep also sounds better at 135 to my ears…140 sounds rushed. But that's just me, and I realize the whole freaking world disagrees with me on that one.

Seriously…I don't understand where the confusion comes from. If you need an easy introduction, go buy Nero's Remix of You Used to Hold Me by Calvin Harris…that song sounds like it was made to mix with electro/prog…and also breaks.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-16-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Tech Wizard

Follow in the example of DJ icons like Skrillex or Porter Robinson. Kill the music completely, then get on the mic and talk about how awesome the next track will be. Then play it from bar fucking 1 and pretend to be a rockstar as you dance around the booth like a flamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjAiXXNZw8

It's in 4/4, just mix it for christ's sake. Don't make the crowd sit through a full minute of intro, that's just awkward.

Tech Mentor

There's some good transition songs. Smash gordon has his la roux transition

Quote Originally Posted by qyzyx View Post
    Follow in the example of DJ icons like Skrillex or Porter Robinson. Kill the music completely, then get on the mic and talk about how awesome the next track will be. Then play it from bar fucking 1 and pretend to be a rockstar as you dance around the booth like a flamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjAiXXNZw8

It's in 4/4, just mix it for christ's sake. Don't make the crowd sit through a full minute of intro, that's just awkward.
    I've never understood that, EVERY video on youtube of Skrillex involves him getting on the mic and telling peoplehow he's really excited to play this next track, seriously like WTF since when did mixing as a dj become optional. Dont get me wrong his stuff is cool, but just play music and shut up, its bad enough I like him and he looks like some emo lesbian, but he just makes it worse by talking so much.

Porter Robinson done a mix on Lazy Rich's show a while ago and it was proper gash, the mixing was shockingly bad.

What we can learn from this is that the ability to produce a badass tune does not a great DJ make.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    What we can learn from this is that the ability to produce a badass tune does not a great DJ make.
    I still love Skrillex stuff, but vids like this really do push my love his stuff to the limits. I mean I'd probably "accidentally" drop him aswell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgQXL9kCAo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast