Vestax VCI-300 seeking advice/help
    Tech Convert

Default Vestax VCI-300 seeking advice/help

I just plunged myself into the digital world of DJing after a 10 year break, last setup was 2 1200s and rane mixer. I have to say after Djing hip-hop/house for 10 years and taking a 10 year break from the game I am truly amazed how the technology has progressed as was very happy to find this site. During my 10 year break I opened and managed SimplyRadio.com and the DJ's still use Vinyl and or Serato Live which is why I decided to purchase the 300 with Serato itch..........even though itch works very precise on the cueing, and scratching with the platters I was straight away "itching" for something a bit more which is how I found this site. 100 hours later here are some questions I have.

current setup:

Mac Book pro newest model
    Vestax VCI-300 with itch
    *just purchased NI Traktor Pro and downloaded midi translator and 300 driver and Vestax_VCI300_1.1.tsi (downloaded from this site)

Apogee Duet external sound card
    Akai MPK49 (used for production)
    JBL powered monitors

Here are my issues:
    1. It seems I can use the VCI-300 only with its internal sound card while using itch, and cant seem to get the sound card to work with my other audio apps (mainly logic audio)

2. when i load up traktor pro I cant use the headphone cueing on the VCI-300 although I can use the external duet sound card. (is there a technique to get this working?

3. When using the platters/jog wheels to cue up a track scratch style, it doesn't start the track when I let go of Job wheel (am I doing something wrong here? Does the VCI-100 have this same issue?

My new thinking is go buy a Vestax VCI-100 perhaps the custom unit from DJTT, and I already purchased the new Traktor Pro. Will this work with my duet sound card for headphone cueing? I like the ability to cue between the master and cue as I tend to mix late at night here at home.

Does anyone have a recommended suggestion for flawless headphone cueing using the vestax vci-100?

Or should I just keep the Vestax VCI-300? does anyone know of any plans on further support/development as it relates to Traktor Pro and the VCI-300? maybee I have the wrong TSI files?

Any advice is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance!

Dj Ken Scan http://simplyradio.com
    Last edited by KenScan; 02-07-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Tech Convert

As a follow up spent some more time with unit and I have to say I am very Happy with the performance aspect of the VCI-300 and itch. It works really good with precise controls and from my short time playing with Traktor Pro (2 days so far) I have decided to map my Akai MPK49 for use with Traktor Pro for recorded and Electronic sets and will stick with the VCI-300 itch for my Hip-Hop & Live sets. It seems that Traktor has an issue with the platter style control.

I sure hope someone comes up with a way to use an external sound card with the VCI-300 as it really doesn't compare to my Duet, which brings up another issue: can't separate the headphone cue separately so that is going from my setup soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for a high quality Audio card for both Digital Djing and light recording preferably firewire??? with a headphone cueing option?

thanks

Ken Scan
    Last edited by KenScan; 02-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.

You need to read the traktor manual(Help->Open Manual)
    Then read the traktor midi reference guide
    http://www.traktorbible.com/pages/mi...html#Downloads

After you have read these that should teach you how to properly assign a jog wheel, and some other issues your running into.

A question - are you using the DJTT VCI-300 midi translator ?

Why the VCI-300 soundcard isnt working i am not too sure why, i dont own a VCI-300 so i am currently waiting for a user on the forum to come up with a solution before i can answer this question.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply I am using the DJTT VCI-300 midi translator from here. Basically I can get the controls to work but the platter has a bunch of latency only when I let go.

The sound card only works with the itch software, and the other issue is not being able to use any other sound card it sounds OK driving active monitors but when its run through a line mixer sounds pretty bad and crackling.

I am going to purchase a new multi input/output firewire sound card &
    external old style DJ mixer for cueing options, do usb mixers help? or do they just add a sound card to the equation? does anyone have any suggestions on audio card/mixer options for digital djing.

Again thanks for helping out....

Ken Scan

Quote Originally Posted by KenScan View Post

Here are my issues:
    1. It seems I can use the VCI-300 only with its internal sound card while using itch, and cant seem to get the sound card to work with my other audio apps (mainly logic audio)

2. when i load up traktor pro I cant use the headphone cueing on the VCI-300 although I can use the external duet sound card. (is there a technique to get this working?

3. When using the platters/jog wheels to cue up a track scratch style, it doesn't start the track when I let go of Job wheel (am I doing something wrong here? Does the VCI-100 have this same issue?

My new thinking is go buy a Vestax VCI-100 perhaps the custom unit from DJTT, and I already purchased the new Traktor Pro. Will this work with my duet sound card for headphone cueing? I like the ability to cue between the master and cue as I tend to mix late at night here at home.

Does anyone have a recommended suggestion for flawless headphone cueing using the vestax vci-100?

Or should I just keep the Vestax VCI-300? does anyone know of any plans on further support/development as it relates to Traktor Pro and the VCI-300? maybee I have the wrong TSI files?

Any advice is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance!

Dj Ken Scan http://simplyradio.com

Just got a vci-300 last week by accident and had more than a few problems. I'll try and help with what I can remember :

1. I had the EXACT same problem on my Xp lappy, no other program bar Itch lets you use the internal soundcard fully. With me audio only came from one of the master outs and volume was greatly reduced.

2. You just need to assign the correct channel in Traktor for cueing. As far as I remember its channel 3/4 on the Vci-300. To do this open the preferences window in Traktor, click 'output routing' and in the section titled 'monitor output' choose 3+4 on the vci 300. If this doesn't work it must be the other ones so change it to them. That should do the trick!

3. Again, I had the same problem with the 300. There was high latency on some controls, most noticably the pitch/jogs. Whether this has to do with them running through the translator or not I don't know. However when I used my own external soundcard (a Maya 44 usb) everything was much smoother.

In the end, I sent the 300 back to the shop as I presumed it was faulty because I couldn't find any info on the problems I had. I'm getting a Vci-100 next week.

I posted about the problems I had here :
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3092&highlight=tricky
    you should read through the answers I got, it helped me make my decision on what to do next!

Hope this helps

I have the same probem with the outputs vci 300 only gives me 2 in Traktor pro, 0&1 there's nothing to assign headphones to

Tech Convert

I've been trying to connect my vestax vci 300 with traktor but still couldn't succeed. What do i need to do? My e-mail is wolter_sergio@hotmail.com
    I would really apreciate your help

I replied to your post on the FB DJTechTools mate, dont know if u had a chance to have a look, but from the replies from Vestax reps and the ITCh forum all i can deduce is that the onboard audio card doesnt seem to work properly on apps other than ITCH unless you use Asio4All
    1x Allen & Heath Xone K2, 1xXone K1, Edirol PCR M1, 4x Numark TTXUSB, Audio10 and a truck load of vinyl...

Tech Wizard

Latest VCI-300 mapping (TSI) for Traktor Pro in this thread:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15455

Tech Student

Hi guys,

I wanted to make this post long time ago...my apologies for the delay.
    After reading many posts and using a combination of mapping settings from various users of this forum (I thank them all!) I came up with the attached VCI-300 TSI mapping. It does not include any effects but it enables you to successfully use an external sound-card and traktor with the controller. The experience is almost the same as if you were using Serato ITCH but now you can have a far better sound since you can use an external sound-card as well as more mixing possibilities with the Traktor software.

I hope it helps!

Cheers,
    nIkNaK
    soundcloud.com/groove-service
    Attached Files Attached Files