Beginner advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner advice

Tech Student

Default Beginner advice

Hi. My name is David, I'm new around these parts. Thanks for having me.

I'm also new to digital dj-ing, and I'm looking for some help. This is my background. I used to have a vinyl setup about 10 years ago and felt very comfortable on the tables. I played out a bit, and wasn't bad, but I never took it too serious and never learned anything other than simple A=>B mixing. Eventually I needed the money and so I sold my whole setup about 7 years ago.

Lately I've started missing it more and more and now I want to become a better DJ than I ever was. At first I wasn't very interested in the digital option at all, but the rig I picked up came with Torq Connectiv. Now it's dawned on me how much it will cost and how long it will take to build up a vinyl collection, so I'm starting to explore the possibilities that are available to me through Torq.

For now I have 2 MKIIs, a cheap, 2 channel Vestax mixer (no effects, high/low EQ and a fader), Torq 1.5 with the Connectiv box, an HP laptop with a 2.00 GHz processor, Windows 7 professional 32-bit and 3.00 GB RAM, a Mackie SRM150, and some cheapy headphones. So far all I've figured out with the Torq software is how to load up a song and control it with the turntable. I'm basically using it as though it were a crate of vinyl. Today I am going to sit down in front of my setup with the user manual and learn as much as I can about the program. My goal is to learn everything I can about Torq and decide where I want to go from there (As far as moving to a more expensive, newer program, or adding MIDI controllers, or some other really cool stuff I probably dont even know about) So this is where I need some help.

I sought out DJTT looking for tips and tricks. The problem I'm having is with a lot of the basic lingo/jargon/technical terms. I just don't know enough about the basics to learn anything from the tutorials. Is there a thread or a page that lists definitions for basic terms? If not, can we turn this thread into one?

Also, I'm interested in some of your thoughts as far as where I should look to improve my setup moving forward. Sometimes my laptop lags and makes the track skip. Should I look at getting a Mac? Or should I just improve the one I have by adding more RAM and use the money toward something else? Should I get a better mixer first, should I upgrade to Torq 2.0 or Traktor or Serato? I really enjoy the fact that I can control the music with the vinyl plate but I've seen some of Ean's MIDI fighter videos and that looks intriguing as well. Like I said at the beginning, at this point I'm not sure where I want to go with my music, right now feel like i want to learn as much as possible about everything that is out there. Any input you can share would be much appreciated.

Lastly I just want to say that I really enjoy the forum and the website. It looks like a great resource for music and information, and I can tell that there are a lot of intelligent and well-informed contributors. I plan on sticking around for a long time, so please say what's up if you ever see me around around the forums. Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by alias; 06-16-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Tech Guru

the majority of people here will recommend traktor and few might say serato, it is fairly hard to help someone when you dont use the same setup as them its all just guess work , if you had traktor I could tell you step by step what to do, and welcome to the forums by the way!
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

Welcome to the forums! I suggest you experiment with different types of software ie traktor or serato so you can find the one that best fits your style of mixing. Personally I use traktor with midi controllers and a mbook pro.

Weclome to the forums mate, torq is your lower end software, its good for what you pay for, but your two main programs, internationally, are serato scratch, or traktor.

Serato seems to be more accepted in clubs as it does not have a 'sync' button, as you have TT's and have been brought up on TT's i do recommend serato, video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVwm...el_video_title

or, you can use traktor, again with the same controller as above, but with more FX, and without the TT's, making it easier for home use.

the kontrol X1, was made for traktor, but comes with a serato overlay, which works just as well.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    or, you can use traktor, again with the same controller as above, but with more FX, and without the TT's, making it easier for home use.
    It's entirely possible to use Traktor (technically Traktor Scratch, but still) with TT's. I may have misunderstood what you're saying? Serato Scratch you have to have TT's. Traktor is more versatile in this regard.

My understanding is that Serato is used more than Traktor in the US, but that this reverse in Europe.

The best advice is to find a way to try them all out, and pick the one you like and that fits your budget.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    It's entirely possible to use Traktor (technically Traktor Scratch, but still) with TT's. I may have misunderstood what you're saying? Serato Scratch you have to have TT's. Traktor is more versatile in this regard.
    You can also use CDJs.

But yeah, traktor can be purely 'controllerist' which serato is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    My understanding is that Serato is used more than Traktor in the US, but that this reverse in Europe.
    Nope, im UK and serato is still the forerunner as it dosent have a sync button.

I'm UK and I'd say more Traktor than Serato but clubs here generally don't seem to have either 'ready to go'.

Lots and lots of inoperative TTs these days though - so much so that I always take my VCI or Maschine with me in case the DVS fails.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Here's the FAQ thread.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3545

Are there specific words or sayings you need help with?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Also, are you looking at home use or club use? rarely you will find a pair of solidly working TT's in a club, if its just home use, and youve been brought up on a vinyl background, your going to want to continue with the touch of a vinyl, yes ?

Assuming you want to go this route, for home use i would look at a serato SL1 box,

your TTs connect into this, then this connects to your mixer. the box then connects to your laptop via USB, much the same as your torq box i think, and controls your tracks, via the special timecoded vinyl.
    Now this SL box can be taken anywhere and plugged into any club system, most likely in a club you will find CDJ's, so use the timecoded CD's for the exact same effect.

If money is not a problem, and your looking at getting a new mixer? possibly? then there is an all in one solution called the rane TTM57SL

This has a serato SL1 box built into it so you plug the mixer to your laptop, then your TTs to the mixer as normal, it is also one of the most robust and hiQuality mixers you will ever buy.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    But yeah, traktor can be purely 'controllerist' which serato is not.
    sept there are a few serato controllers like the allen and heath dx, vestax vci 300, numark ns6/ns7, novation twitch, pioneer ddjs1.

but these require serato itch and cant add turntables to them later as far as I know
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast