SINE wave post mix

Default SINE wave post mix

I know this may be a stretch but I heard a great mix by a local DJ that stood out like a Red Coat in an American forest.

One of the reasons it stood out was because I literally had not heard a mix with this much BASS in it before. I thought it was just the tracks at first but after asking him...he mentioned that he did the mix in Ableton then injected a sine wav through the whole mix master after recording.

I never got around to following up with that but Id be SUPER interested in finding out how to do this because it sounded clean, punchy and on steroids!

Anybody know what I am going on about?
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

mwf bass is the thing that makes him stand out.

LOL YEAH GUISE, LETS ADD A 2K SINE WAVE TO URRRRRY TRACK IN UR LIRBRARY.
    oh wait, lets not. Fattening up tracks is the most hurr durr retarded things one could do IMO.

But yeah, I do know what you're going on about. Some DJ's have a bassloop going on the entire set to add atmosphere or something.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

It was ONE of the things that stood out. That and all the crazy dope, fly, off the chain Deadmaufive tracks.......

So care to elaborate on you knowing what Im talking about?

Tech Guru

I likes bass, pretty sure he just got a really deep bass riff and layerd it with other bass's that it made it rumble... ive read about using sine waves in music before cause it messes with your emotions but wouldnt know where to start...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Well, you can have a ,lets say, 80 hertz sine wave playing during your set with a multi band compressor on the master that only compresses the bass so when the kicks hit, they still hit, but when there's no bass action going on in the track, you have the 80hz hum.

Seeing as the hum is quite boring after about 2 seconds, most DJ's that do this use a 16 bar bass loop to "enhance" the music.

I'd say, try it out in a session, see if you like it. I don't know if you have Ableton but you can send out the Master BPM out of Traktor into Ableton, syncing on the 1, and then trigger loops in Ableton. That way you can trigger multiple loops in Ableton while still having control over 4 decks in Traktor.
    Last edited by Audeo; 06-26-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Guru

waves rbass plugin maybe
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

This all sounds wrong to me. If you had a constant tone playing through your mix, it wouldn't be in tune with all or even most of your tunes, unless all your tunes basslines were in the same key and chord. I'd be interested to hear the mix though, have you got a link?
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

maybe post the mix so we know what youre talking about?
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    Well, you can have a ,lets say, 80 hertz sine wave playing during your set with a multi band compressor on the master that only compresses the bass so when the kicks hit, they still hit, but when there's no bass action going on in the track, you have the 80hz hum.

Seeing as the hum is quite boring after about 2 seconds, most DJ's that do this use a 16 bar bass loop to "enhance" the music.

I'd say, try it out in a session, see if you like it. I don't know if you have Ableton but you can send out the Master BPM out of Traktor into Ableton, syncing on the 1, and then trigger loops in Ableton. That way you can trigger multiple loops in Ableton while still having control over 4 decks in Traktor.
    sweet! thank you sir