BCR2000 or Launchpad?

Default BCR2000 or Launchpad?

Over the past few months more tuned into what I want to use Ableton for. Primarily I've been working with lots of loops (a la Girltalk) but feel the need to have more control over the set with regarding to EQing and effect modulation.

Currently I've had my eye on purchasing a Beheringer BCR2000 and a Novation Launchpad to complete both needs. However, being a college student on a budget I can really only dish out the cash for one of these units. To whomever reads this - What would you go with first?

Thanks a million!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Bcr will do the job better if you are a knob guy, besides its encoders can be pushed to act as buttons. Tekki is a big fan of it, ask him

And Daft Punk uses a couple of them don't they? Don't you want to be like Daft Punk?

Tech Wizard

you can launch clips with the BCR by mapping one of the knobs to 'row select' then mapping 8 of the buttons to row launch on 1-8 or 1-7 and a scene launch button. But then you spend a lot of time scrolling through scenes. Maybe get an APC40? Or get a Nanokontrol and a launchpad.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    And Daft Punk uses a couple of them don't they? Don't you want to be like Daft Punk?
    You should chose a controller based on your needs, not because X person uses it.

I'm still relatively new to this whole DJing/ Producing thing and have quite a bit to learn. This whole foray was sparked from going to clubs, parties, etc and wanting to one better the dj or iPod. What it comes down to is me wanting to do the whole college dj gig differently.

I've been tinkering around with using a lot of loops and samples from various generes, but would like to be able to do much more than activate clips. Plus, I'll probably want to be able to try out different things in the future without the need to buy more equipment. I figure the flexibility of both the Launchpad and BCR will set me off in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    You should chose a controller based on your needs, not because X person uses it.
    tehe, don't worry - I was only half joking . I want to be Daft Punk

If I could come up with being some version of Girltalk, Deadmau5, Ean Golden, and Skrillex...I might be Ok for a little while.