Controlling Live 8 & Traktor 2 using only 1 controller

Default Controlling Live 8 & Traktor 2 using only 1 controller

Hello djtechtool readers,

Inspired by this tutorial "http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/16/smart-mixing-traktor-into-ableton-4-mac/"
    I started experimenting with recording mixes made with Traktor Pro 2 routed into Ableton, using jackosx, with promising results !
    But I'd like to take it one step further.

I'dd like to mimick Serato's "Bridge" to Ableton, using only 1 controller.

Assuming Ableton doesn't allow recording midi-messages sent to traktor's internal mixer, I'll have to bypass this by using Ableton's faders and effects.

This is possible with separate controllers connected to 1 computer (Mac in my case), but doing the same with only one controller (say an S4 in midi mode) would require midi splitting or midi routing software.

Is this midi-splitting done by software even possible to begin with ?
    If not can it be done with OSX internal audio/midi configuration ?
    Or, do I need separate software ?

Every lead is welcome !

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

As long as the mapping doesn't conflict you can use the controller for both programs without any issues

Theoretically, you should be absolutely right.

But once Traktor starts running, Ableton stops receiving midi messages from the S4.
    Also I noticed the S4 midi input dissappears in Ableton's preference menu, once Traktor starts running...

Thats why I asked about the midi router (software)...

So any idea ?
    Emaceratus ? Oh, you mean Hipster Kitty.

Or if your controller allow you to change the midi channel on board, you can have an entirely different layer for every program

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by emaceratus View Post
    But once Traktor starts running, Ableton stops receiving midi messages from the S4.

Also I noticed the S4 midi input dissappears in Ableton's preference menu, once Traktor starts running...
    I don't own one, so couldn't say for sure, but...

Doesn't the S4 run in HID mode when connected to Traktor?

I figure you can use it for MIDI when running Ableton, yeah: but starting Traktor bumps it back in to HID, without support for both protocols at the same time.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    I figure you can use it for MIDI when running Ableton, yeah: but starting Traktor bumps it back in to HID, without support for both protocols at the same time.
    Shift + Browse toggles between HID and MIDI, it doesn't disable it.

@OP I'll give it a shot over the week and check back to you, I'm kinda busy now for testing

I'm affraid Padi_04 has it by the right end with traktor starting HID-mode..

Today I tested the same scenario with a vcm 600, it goes where I'd like to get with only one controller. But the VCM is far from ideal for track control. Anywayz...

Maybe there is a solution by first running traktor, then setting the S4 (back) into midi-mode using the shift-browse combo, but then i assume the jogs will only send low-resolution signals. Ay, no me gusta

Would it be a good idea to fire this scenario at NI's support ? Or will this end as a rhetorical question ?

If so my S4 goes out the door, I need a decent interface for Traktors decks

Yup,

With the S4, options are very limited-> Low jog resolution and even some noticeable latency, and traktor doesn't allow sharing the controller.
    With the VCM no problem at all.

S4 anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    As long as the mapping doesn't conflict you can use the controller for both programs without any issues
    I don't believe this is true. From what I remember, midi forms a sort of handshake with the program that's using it, thus preventing other programs from using it at the same time. You need to route the controller into bomes or midi ox or an equivalent and then route it out from there. I wouldn't recommend using an s4 since it works on native protocol as well as midi and unless you're running it all midi that will complicate things. The toggling between midi and native as mentioned before will work though.