Royalties?

Thread: Royalties?

Tech Wizard

Default Royalties?

So I might be doing a residency and setting up some installation sound at the restaurant that I work. (They also do big concerts, parties, etc.)

My boss is worried about needing to pay royalties, like (I believe...) he does already on the waiting room type restaurant music.

What are my rights in terms of playing music for groups of a couple hundred people? Can I just use stuff off of beatport without worrying? Do I need to worry about paying for the rights to this stuff?

Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Wizard

Thanks! So my boss needn't worry if they're private events then?

in australia the venues with djs etc pay a license with differing fees depending on venue capacity... eg if the venue is licensed to hold 300 ppl the venue might have to pay 10c per person every night of the week which they open regardless if theres 10ppl or a full venue.

cafes, shops etc pay a different flat fee per year to play radio, mp3, cds etc

*not providing legal advice, just posting a video. i really dont know what rules apply to you etc.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

He'll need a license, not sure which one though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

in the uk the venue needs and probably has a PPL license, but if ur using digital audio files off a laptop with serato or traktor etc you will also need a pro dub license...which is shit and not fit for purpose
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,