Skrillex Shut Down, Death at a Rave in Dallas - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    A guy died at a gig in London from the Bass being too loud at a gig
    As an audio engineer I call BS on this. Bass on its own can make breathing unpleasant at ridiculously volumes but to kill someone..
    Though with the right amount of narcotics, a false arrhythmia could occur I guess if standing next to a sub array at 130dBA
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    As an audio engineer I call BS on this. Bass on its own can make breathing unpleasant at ridiculously volumes but to kill someone..
    Though with the right amount of narcotics, a false arrhythmia could occur I guess if standing next to a sub array at 130dBA

Read this. Underlying genetic conditions is the key point but, yeah it happened.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/805430-l...udent-tom-reid

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Interesting read but its not the bass that killed him, it just triggered something:
    "A coroner recorded a verdict of natural causes, saying the straight-As student was killed by sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS)
    Cardiac experts said the bass could have triggered SADS if Mr Reid had underlying, yet unknown, genetic problems
    "

If bass could really kill, blowing up hearts left and right, we would probably have heard of it by now.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Damn. Imagine being allergic to bass. *lights a candle for the poor SADS souls*
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by DJZEchevarria View Post
    I think without a real answer, nobody should be really blaming anybody. And if there was to blame somebody it would be the idiots who overdose on drugs and stuff because they chose to go that way, not anybody else. They know the risks.
    my thoughts are with the family.

and i agree, people seem to be jumping to conclusions.

however, if it is to do with drugs, then it would be the dealer for being so irresponsible for selling and encouraging someone who blatantly can't handle their dosage. it's not hard to be able to tell if the kid's done what ever he did before and whether he actually knows what he's doing. i wouldn't want to kill off my customers, i'd feel incredibly shit knowing it was my fault.

as for the bass theory, wouldn't you have to subject your self to agonising pain i.e, ear drums bursting (or however your ears break) before you died? i'm sure people wouldn't hang around to listen to it.

i think as a member of a forum built from DJ's who are so heavily immersed in the rave culture, it's likely that at least some of us have at least tried some drugs without problems. it's a shame other's experiences are truly lethal.

EDIT: ignore the bass theory, other posts came through whilst typing this up
    Mac Mini 2.4ghz Dual Booted OSX 10.6 and XP, TSP2, Numark Mixtrack, iPod Touch with TouchOSC. Gemini XL-500's with a mixer i'm too embarissed to admit!

Check out my easy noob build thread:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31826

Tech Wizard

Those festivals are hell. No water, a lot of money, people bumping into you, drugs, drunk fools, etc etc..

Given that 2 dozen people were hospitalised I'm comfortable jumping to the conclusion that either the crowd was too rowdy and people got physically hurt, it was too hot in there and people got heat stroke or there was a dealer in there with some dodgy pills (which in turn can lead to heat stroke).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk6Zy1xC4JM
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

An old friend of mine was involved in the promotion in this (he picked up skrillex from the airport) I'll ask him what went down and post here when I get the relevant info
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Tech Guru

jesus christ EDC....

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Given that 2 dozen people were hospitalised I'm comfortable jumping to the conclusion that either the crowd was too rowdy and people got physically hurt, it was too hot in there and people got heat stroke or there was a dealer in there with some dodgy pills (which in turn can lead to heat stroke).
    If you think the dodgyness of the pills is in any way related to heat stroke, you're part of the problem because you have no idea what you're doing.

Don't give people advice about drugs until you do a lot more research.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyDonePun View Post
    url]http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2011/06/one_dead_dozens_hospitalized_a.php[/url]…

Although the person who died in Dallas was 19 years-old (as compared to the 15-year old who passed away in LA), are events like these cause for concern? Can Americans just not handle their drugs?
    It's usually alcohol, where I've been. I've had friends carried away for that reason–well, more like acquaintances. And I've taled to paramedics–while they weren't busy–mostly to thank them for being available at every event I've seen them at. And chatted with them.

Apparently things like "craft beer festivals" and outdoor summer wine tastings are even worse per capita…they just top out at about 800-1000 people instead of 150,000.

Yeah, things like MDMA will make you have to regulate your temperature yourself (with water, clothing, breaks, etc.) but statistically, hard drugs are a lot less dangerous than drinking too much. And no one in the US respects alcohol for what it does, especially outdoors in the heat.

I've watched people buy a beer while they were sweating like mad in the 1pm sun in August in Atlanta…only to throw up, pass out, and wind up in a medical tent or hospital.

Frankly, I don't think festivals should sell alcohol at all. It's just too dangerous in those settings.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-19-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast