Question for Mac Users
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for Mac Users

Hey guys,

I posted this thread last night/this morning and somehow managed to put it in the wrong forum. Might have been something to do with the fact it was 4am and I was half asleep while posting
    Anyway here's the post again.

So I was planning on saving up to buy a new 2.4 ghz iMac. However, I came across what looks like a good deal on a local ad site. Someone's selling an iMac G5 iSight edition with a 1.9 ghz PowerPC processor for 300 pounds (the new iMac retails at around 775 pounds here in the UK). I'm thinking I could use the 1.9 ghz Mac for the next 6 mths to a year and save myself a bit of money(by then I could maybe upgrade to the next iMac).
    I would be using it to run Logic Express, Reason and Ableton Live plus a few VST plugins to do a bit of production and remixing.
    Just looking for some advice on this. Would the 1.9 ghz serve my purposes for now, or would I be better off saving up for the newer DuoCore Mac??? Also, were there any issues I should be wary of with the older Macs??
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Default hi

i recently bought a new aluminum 2.0 ghz 2gb ram macbook, dualcore proccessor, and absolutley no complaints whatsoever. i run reason 4 and traktor pro and it runs extremely smoothly

only problem is there are only 2 usb ports and no firewire cable which is a slight bitch

but i've never owned a mac previously so i can't compare, but apparently the new Mac OS is more stable than previous versions

Forget the G5 imac...the G5 processor is now old technology, even apple's next operating system 10.6 'snow leopard' is looking like it will only be compiled for intel macs.

More and more programs like traktor for example are starting to be soley coded for intel processors. My best advice to you is pay the extra for something that has a core2duo inside, that way your future proofed.

Apple havent officially anounced 10.6 is intel only but when they do you can guarantee the value of a G5 will plummet.
    Last edited by jimmymac; 02-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    Macbook Pro 13" • TP2 • MFPro Beatmasher • VCI-400 EGE • VCI-100 EGE Arcade NOW SOLD! • Presonus Firebox • Vestax VMC004XLu • SL1210's

Save the cash, and forgot about the G5. I would get a powerbook 17", but not a G5 iMac. For traktor is as far as you get T3, not traktor pro.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Convert

Do NOT pick up the G5, back away slowly and do not anger the G5.

Apple's new Intel based system have gained enough momentum that they themselves are moving away from from supporting the older Gx hardware (Snow Leopard...)

So I'd expect that 3'rd party application creators are looking to move away from supporting the older systems as well.

Save your pennies, you'll be happier to know that what you settle down on will be able to support you for the future rather than thinking "oh man, I'd love to do that... but this system won't support it."

cheers!
    sYn

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys. Much appreciated.

I think i'll hold off for now and save up for the latest iMac. Sounds like the best idea. If only I didn't have to pay rent, I could buy one now....

Quote Originally Posted by sYn0ptik View Post
    Do NOT pick up the G5, back away slowly and do not anger the G5.

I was tempted to rattle on it's cage but I managed to restrain myself

Tech Mentor

Maybe get a 2.0ghz core 2 duo white macbook, I think they have just come down in price but are still rated highly.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Tech Mentor

I wouldnt recommend the white model, it is cheaper but the quality in the casing is the not the best. Plus, since its white the dirty just sticks to it. I would save the extra 300 and get the metal casing.
    Thank Ya!!!

Dont forget that when new mac products come out all the discontinued stuff gets a nice price slash. They have been talking about dual core & quad core iMacs coming out soon
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

With you on the casing issues with the white Macbook, Luv2xra. I had one of the earlier models I got about 6 years ago. That lovely white sheen doesn't stay lovely and white for long. Also the casing is prone to getting scuffed and scratched far too easily for my liking. The black Macbook feels a bit more durable to me me. Feels like it's made from different casing materials. I guess that's why it's more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by timinya View Post
    i recently bought a new aluminum 2.0 ghz 2gb ram macbook, dualcore proccessor, and absolutley no complaints whatsoever. i run reason 4 and traktor pro and it runs extremely smoothly

only problem is there are only 2 usb ports and no firewire cable which is a slight bitch
    No firewire!! Damn. What's that all about?? When spending that amount of money on a machine, I would expect at least one firewire port (especially from apple, as most of their models have come with firewire for years).
    Last edited by JonChase; 02-11-2009 at 04:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast