hi def beats by dre headphones, worth using?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default hi def beats by dre headphones, worth using?

Hey, a while back i bought a pair of hi-def monster beats by dre headphones from a friend for 175$ because he got them for cheap in another country. (theyre usually about 350$+ in stores and online).

So my question is: are they worth keeping to professionally DJ, say at a club or lounge? i've heard alot about them being flashy and all but i just liked the clarity of sound and deep bass they make, but it feels the external noise cancellation could lack.

or is there another brand that's made better headphones then these for DJing?

i'm asking so if there is a better pair of headphones, i can sell the beats by dres and buy the better pair.

thanks for any feedback

I've tested these for a while, and although the sound is great for listening to your iPod, I found that there is a lack of punch to the bass, and that the sound cancellation isnt good enough for DJing, maybe just right for DJing in your bedroom w/o a too loud sound system but otherwise no.
    Last edited by D.S.M.I.T.; 06-20-2011 at 03:45 AM.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Search the forum

but No they are not dj headphones and you will be better of getting a proper set.

Tech Mentor

Sennheiser Hd25-1's are among the most popular cans. Lightweight, very sturdy, good isolation and sound. Getting myself a pair too as soon as I got the cash!

Don't buy the cheaper basic edition though, apparently they're on a whole different level.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

HDJ-500's.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    Sennheiser Hd25-1's are among the most popular cans. Lightweight, very sturdy, good isolation and sound. Getting myself a pair too as soon as I got the cash!

Don't buy the cheaper basic edition though, apparently they're on a whole different level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    HDJ-500's.

I believe he wants to find out about DJing with earphones, since Beats by Dr Dre are earphones, and no headset.

Otherwise, i second the HDJ-500, or even better, if you have the money, the HDJ-2000.
    Do not go for the HDJ-1000, I have it and find it very uncomfortable after wearing it longer than 1 hour.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    HDJ-500's.
    sound quality is above average... build quality isn't

go the sennheiser hd-25II's or the AIAIAI TMA-1's better build quality and sound quality.

HD-25's have more clarity across all the frequency's, the TMA-1's lack a tiny bit in the higher and mid ranges with nice bass. HD-25's are a monitor headphone so good for producing too, where as the TMA-1's were designed specifically to dj with.

Beats by DD are headphones, not earphones. And basically, yes they sound cool when you're just listening to hip hop or edm by yourself because they boost bass etc, but that's not what you want for accurate monitoring. What you hear in the headphones won't be a good representation of what's coming out of the PA.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I would not recommend the DD Beats for Dj'ing at all. They are just over priced iPod headphones marketed smartly. If you have the money to spare I would go for the Pioneer HDJ 2000's. I have them and can attest to their awesomeness and quality.

If you want something a little cheaper but almost equally as good, the AIAIAI TMA 1's, and Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii's are also excellent options. (My preference being the TMA 1's)

If you want something thats still good, but on the cheaper side have a look at the Pioneer HDJ 500's. The only cost $99 and I've only heard good things about them, considering they are on the budget side of Dj'ing headphones.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

If you want in-ear earphones, that have a surprisingly awesome sound quality with a lot of deep punchy bass and clear highs, get the Klipsch S4 earphones !! I got them this afternoon, AND I LOVE EEEM !!

http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4-black-in-ear-headphones
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast