S4 sound quality question ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default S4 sound quality question ?

Hello all DJTT
    I want to buy s4 but a friend of mine /dj/ told me that the sound quality wont be as good as turntable or cd player and he told me that its better to buy 2 pioneer 800's and a mixer and the sound will be better ... and i've read that the quaity of the s4 is better if its connected via audio 4/8/10 dj ??? I want to have s4 and later to buy 2x 1200's with timecode + midifighter or dicers ... for me this is the gear what i should have, but i want to hear your opinions. cheers

The S4 sooundcard is pretty much an Audio 4 anyway. Better sound quality will depend what mixer you buy. As far as i know the cdj 800's wont make one bit of difference to the sound quality.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I don't know who you talked to but they are plainly wrong. The S4 soundcard does the job just fine like any of NI's soundcards. You shouldn't have any sound issues running it with timecode either.

PS: Pio's CDJs don't sound better.

Tech Convert

both s4 and 800's have 24-bit/96kHz but that man told me that there is difference in what you're hearing (cd's/turntables Or some kind of music which is coming out from a pc) :?

Turntables sound a bit different by their very nature, not necessarily better. There's no difference between CDJs and PC audio from a good sound card, it's just something CD DJs like to say to make people think controllers are shit.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    it's just something CD DJs like to say to make people think controllers are shit.
    Basically this.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Turntables sound a bit different by their very nature, not necessarily better. There's no difference between CDJs and PC audio from a good sound card, it's just something CD DJs like to say to make people think controllers are shit.
    yeah he's dnb dj which is spinnin on cd's ... probably your answer is the best and about the quality of s4 + audio 6/8/10dj i've read it here in this forum , 1 guy was selling both and was saying that the quality is better with an audio card

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    yeah he's dnb dj which is spinnin on cd's ... probably your answer is the best and about the quality of s4 + audio 6/8/10dj i've read it here in this forum , 1 guy was selling both and was saying that the quality is better with an audio card
    They all share the same components, the only difference between NI's soundcards is I/O's and timecode compatibility. You will get the same results by getting an Audio 2/4/6/8/10.

Tech Guru

99.9999% of people who talk about sound quality have no fucking clue what they're talking about. They've never actually measured things like frequency response or distortion, and don't know how to intelligently describe issues pertaining to audio quality.

Take EVERYTHING your friend says with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to be snarky here at all. It's just a fact that most people (and especially DJs - sorry) don't bother learning about audio, hearing, gain structure, or anything else beyond mixing. Making a blanket statement like your friend did is pretty stupid if you know anything about audio.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    99.9999% of people who talk about sound quality have no fucking clue what they're talking about. They've never actually measured things like frequency response or distortion, and don't know how to intelligently describe issues pertaining to audio quality.

Take EVERYTHING your friend says with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to be snarky here at all. It's just a fact that most people (and especially DJs - sorry) don't bother learning about audio, hearing, gain structure, or anything else beyond mixing. Making a blanket statement like your friend did is pretty stupid if you know anything about audio.
    I support your opinion. For me its not just pc/cd/turntables + mixer and BUM !! you are the next TIESTO or something ... here are a lot of electrical stuff connected with music production which ppl have to learn. 10x very much for yall answers

p.s i was playing in a club and a dj next to me asked me "How do you change the chanel which you are listening to in your headphones ? Is this phono/line switch ..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast