Way too many tracks, must be a better way to find my music. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I haven't been DJ'ing all to long, but my library recently hit 1000 songs. Then I transferred over my favorites to my iPod... and was left with 347. That's still hundreds of songs to work with, but damn... I don't remember downloading that much crap.

there are some really useful articles (think they're called Power Tips) on how to use smart playlists to make finding track of a similar style easier

For example I have a bunch of smart playlists set up to select all tracks where the genre includes Funk and that are rated 4 or 5 stars. As I set the genres and stars myself. It picks out my favourite tracks. I also use MiK and the key and bpm are both in the comments field so that can be an aid

Then again I sometime just play what feels right .... josh is right, know your music.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Sorry, forgot to add ... the articles are on DJTT ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    sorting by date is a good idea.
    a few years ago before i lost one of my collections on a failed hdd i would sort all my popular 'bangers' and 'tracks from ministry cds' by month and year which seemed to work well when playing to (younger and more ignorant) commercial dancefloors. worked well enough.

over the years i've tried many different approaches to filing my mp3's and filling burned cd's... all have worked well, but when you play everything enough it doesn't matter how or when it was filed where - my brain knew where to find it!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    a few years ago before i lost one of my collections on a failed hdd i would sort all my popular 'bangers' and 'tracks from ministry cds' by month and year which seemed to work well when playing to (younger and more ignorant) commercial dancefloors. worked well enough.

over the years i've tried many different approaches to filing my mp3's and filling burned cd's... all have worked well, but when you play everything enough it doesn't matter how or when it was filed where - my brain knew where to find it!
    Soo true.... My musid collection is a mess but my main 100 songs are spread across about 5 folders which specific names like dubstep house electro gay (non are in the right folders though) but if i want a song i know exactly where it is
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

I've got a massive music collection coz I love music.

What I'm looking for is a better way to filter away the tracks I don't want, leaving me with say 50 tracks that have close key/bmp etc.

I'm looking at this as an inspiration tool when jamming at home. I'm thinking of it as a way to find and rediscover tunes in my collection.

Apparently Virtual DJ has a feature called geniusdj that can do what I want but there's zero chance of me buying Virtual DJ, I'm traktor to the core.

Thanks to everyone that posted usefull tips

Tech Guru

I dont have a clue really... This is all i do... My car radio runs a sd card... I pick say 50 random songs that i dont know too well... And just stick them on it every so often... Ill listen to these for like 2 weeks and when i find a song that i really like or someone goes wow whats that.. I note it down and gets added to a play list which i then free style with other songs to see what works well together
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    I dont have a clue really... This is all i do... My car radio runs a sd card... I pick say 50 random songs that i dont know too well... And just stick them on it every so often... Ill listen to these for like 2 weeks and when i find a song that i really like or someone goes wow whats that.. I note it down and gets added to a play list which i then free style with other songs to see what works well together
    good way of doing it... im pretty sure theres a way to do it on the ipod too while listening using star ratings and then anything with one star is taken from the playlist next time you sync. i read it somewhere yonks ago for the ipod classic.

i'd suggest making up playlists of 10-15 songs and listening to them 10 times in a row each, if you notice you start skipping to the next song after the first 3-4 times - delete those tracks.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If you're already using Smart playlists then just import those into Traktor before your gigs. You'll have to delete the old traktor playlist, but that shouldn't be an issue because you'll be importing it again with the better, stronger, faster playlist.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i love how people think that having a million tracks is a good thing...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast