Track progress from traktor via MIDI, possible?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Track progress from traktor via MIDI, possible?

I'm building an Arduino based custom traktor controller, i have the prototype almost running , but a feature that came to my mind that i would like to include is some sort of track progress reference, maybe an horizontal led bar or a spinning one (a la CDJ center display). The thing is that i need some feedback from traktor of the track speed and direction tried BPM but it just sends one signal at track load, the closest to a usable signal could be the pitch fader position. Any ideas?

Mapping a standard deck track position looks possible, have a play with the output "seek position" command as thats the feature you want to get the output from. The controller range options show values 0.000000 which would represent the start of the track and 1.000000 equals the end of the track.

I've mapped a similar feature for the loop recorder/player output across four buttons, which gives me a nice step sequencer display once activated. You'll have to play around with the values and it will take a fair bit of trial and error, but what you want seems very possible, I just haven't tried it myself
    yet.

Here's the values and how I mapped position for the loop recorder. Because I wanted to use 4 different leds, I had to divide the max value 1.000000 by 4 to get my increment values and because I wanted a smooth sweeping motion the first max controller range value had to match the min value of the next output command, then repeat.

Controller Range

Output Command 1: Min 0.000000 Max 0.250000
    Output Command 2: Min 0.250000 Max 0.500000
    Output Command 3: Min 0.500000 Max 0.750000
    Output Command 4: Min 0.750000 Max 1.000000

(All seems so simple now, but those numbers gave me such a headache at the time)

---edit

I've just re read your post and I may of rushed to answer without grasping what you really want to know, do you mean the light that spins round the cdj platter representing sticker position?

If so to emulate that would be pretty simple, I'd use the "beat Phase monitor" output command. It would spin to the beat rather than actual track position but that would be pretty cool as once both decks are synced the light show would be too.

Maybe this thread belongs in the mappings area mr moderator?
    Last edited by Dubba Dutch; 06-21-2011 at 06:04 PM.

yep.... "beat phase monitor" is handy for showing activity etc. i haven't tried using 'seek position' as an out - will have to give that a go. i presume that can in effect give you a % of the way through a track? might be useful with what i'm doing atm...

i'm going to use the beat phase monitor to simulate a spinning record round the scs.3d - unless it automatically does that but i suspect not...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

I've just re read your post and I may of rushed to answer without grasping what you really want to know, do you mean the light that spins round the cdj platter representing sticker position?

If so to emulate that would be pretty simple, I'd use the "beat Phase monitor" output command. It would spin to the beat rather than actual track position but that would be pretty cool as once both decks are synced the light show would be too.

Maybe this thread belongs in the mappings area mr moderator?
    Yeah i thought about both possibilities, (maybe a mode button?), the idea came to my mind when i was thinking in including a light bar for the "end of track" warning then i said "well it could be a progress bar or a position indicator that gives you some visual feedback of which deck is running.
    I tried the "beat phase monitor" but just checking the transmitted midi values, i guess i'm gonna build the spinner or bar and check the behavior with different outputs.

To the mod, please move the thread if necessary, i'm new to the forum and really didn't know exactly where to post.

Can you please show some pictures if youre done with the device??

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i presume that can in effect give you a % of the way through a track? ...
    Yeah seek position output would work perfect for what you described

@ DJ Krugger - I think I may of been talking nonsense when suggesting the beat phase output command, actually an output from scratch jog would most probably do it. I'm not near my copy of Traktor at the mo, but I'll get back to the thread once I've checked it out.
    Last edited by Dubba Dutch; 06-22-2011 at 02:18 AM.

I've been trying to get this working in Traktor for my project with no success Is it actually possible to do it with Traktor alone? (please say yes )

This is what I want to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlyNuOfUYuM

I've tried mapping led output to different things but can't get it working.

Edit: The guy in the video was using Bomes. Does anyone know how to do it with that program?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extraclassic View Post
    I've been trying to get this working in Traktor for my project with no success Is it actually possible to do it with Traktor alone? (please say yes )
    that's exactly what i want to do... might even have been the same youtube vid that made me first think about it.

i don't suppose that'd be possible in traktor alone.

i'm planning on using the beat phase monitor to move to the next led and work out how many beats are between the current led and where i press to work out how many beats to beatjump back etc - or something like that - will be fun to experiment anyway.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Let us know how you progress with it.

While searching for more info on this subject I stumbled upon this thread over on NI Traktor forum.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=73065

The author of the video makes a few comments. He was asked...

How Did you get the leds to do that?
    And replied

its not through Traktor, thats for sure

I've used Bome's midi author to use tha actual usb signals, rather than midi controls, and a few variables for states of play etc,

I think it works really well, just not sure what the life of the LEDs is

Quote Originally Posted by extraclassic View Post
    Let us know how you progress with it.

While searching for more info on this subject I stumbled upon this thread over on NI Traktor forum.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=73065
    pretty interesting thread. i haven't really hunted round to see what other people have mapped on the scs.3d yet - i probably should have

mine will be here in a few days which is handy as the gf is away for about a week after that so hopefully i'll post a beta of my midimasher app for launchpad + scs.3d or something early next month... unless it all goes horribly wrong which it probably will... it's all going far too easily atm there has to be some uber fubar just round the corner...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast