Terrible hum with new Pioneer SDJ-05 monitors

Default Terrible hum with new Pioneer SDJ-05 monitors

I just bought a pair of Pioneer SDJ-05 monitors. I am trying to use them with my S4 but am running into major issues with hum.

I am already using my 1/4 inch outputs to my main speaker system so that leaves me with RCA's. I have high quality RCA's (9 feet) going to a ARTech Clean Box Pro which converts the RCA's to balanced XLR's. I have the XLR's going into my speakers.

The hum is terrible. I've tried unplugging my laptop (doesn't help), switching to shorter RCA's, using just RCA's into the speakers, but there is still the terrible hum.

Now I tried plugging my iPod into the speaker with a headphone to RCA Y cable and that sounds great. No hum at all!

What else can I do to eliminate the hum while using the S4? It is driving me nuts. FYI that Clean Box should serve as a hum eliminator as well if I'm not mistaken...
    Macbook Pro 15" (2.3 GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD), S4, Maschine, Beat Masher, Cue Master

have you tried the TRS?

Are your monitors plugged in to a different "leg" of power or are they on the same circuit as your S4?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

I'm not sure why you're getting the hum, but if you're using your monitors as booth monitors you could always plug into your headphone jack using a trs stereo jack to rca

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Are your monitors plugged in to a different "leg" of power or are they on the same circuit as your S4?
    +1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg

Same difference. Mixer plugged into one circuit, amps/powered speakers plugged into another = ground loop.
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

i recently bought one of these babies..

ground loop isolator for about 5€ on ebay..

Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Thanks all. I am using the TRS outputs for my main system.

Yes, I was using different outlets, but yesterday I moved them to the same outlet and the hum was still there. I will try it again though to see.
    Macbook Pro 15" (2.3 GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD), S4, Maschine, Beat Masher, Cue Master

Does your "clean box" have a ground lift on it? If so try engaging it. Lastly make sure your RCA cables are not running parallel to a power cable.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

It does not have a ground lift. Based on where everything is set up, the rca's shouldn't be parallel to the power but I'll double check.