Heated argument with me and my bro about DJ'ing....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Heated argument with me and my bro about DJ'ing....

so I was having a conversation with my brother regarding mixing with equipment and he comes up with an idea that the equipment (mixers, turntables) improve sound quality. the argument pissed me off because he wouldn't acknowledge what I was trying to tell him and kept insisting his point.

He says that his idea is supported by the fact that why a person would get a pioneer DVJ-1000 over a numark NDX 800 is because he could rock the crowd with "better sound quality" and by sound quality he meant the crisp range of audible sound from a file. He says that there is something about the equipment that creates that awesome sound quality and that the soundcard is just an interface.

so i told his dumbass that it is the soundcard (NI audio 10 DJ) that improves sound quality supported the fact that there are settings on the card let me set the sampling rate and buffer size of the sound output... so based on that I tell him a person would pick awesome equipment over lesser equipment is because of the features. its obvious that a DVJ-1000 has more features to fuck with the track than the cheaper ones. obviously those do NOT improve sound quality in the sense of audible range but more on manipulation.

my brother is a fucking idiot and just wants to believe what he wants to believe. please help me tell him that equipment is just for features and manipulation and that it is the soundcard and the music files that set the sound quality.

can you guys please shed some light because you guys know what your talking about. and if im wrong then I deserve to be flamed.

inb4 pissed off.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

u mad?

+1 for analogue mixing digital sources.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Soundcards/mixers/etc don't improve the sound quality. If you increase the bit rate or whatever in the soundcard settings it will still be tied to the source file quality. So let's say a good soundcard/mixer doesn't destroy the sound quality like cheap stuff would.
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-23-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    u mad?
    pretty much.

need enlightenment

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

I am in the understanding that good sound quality comes starts from your sound file. Then is just depends on the gear as to how much it will degrade the quality of that sound file as it travels along the path and finally out the speakers.
    Better quality gear = less loss of quality

More $$$ on DA convertors = better sound.

Why I pay money for focusrite/avalon/hammerfall/apogee AD-DA boxes over edirol/maudio/behringer.

More $$$ and experience on component & circuit design = better sound.

Why I pay money for an A&H Xone over a noname brand DJ mixer with the same features.

Gear does improve/maintain sound quality.

But shit in, shit out. Awesome gear ain't going to improve a 320kbps MP3 that was up-converted from a youtube rip of an awesome track off pristine vinyl captured by the video camera on some dude's blackberry.
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Soundcards/mixers/etc don't improve the sound quality. If you increase the bit rate or whatever in the soundcard settings it will still be tied to the source file quality. So let's say a good soundcard/mixer doesn't destroy the sound quality like cheap stuff would.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMpress View Post
    I am in the understanding that good sound quality comes starts from your sound file. Then is just depends on the gear as to how much it will degrade the quality of that sound file as it travels along the path and finally out the speakers.
    Better quality gear = less loss of quality
    agreed. hmm that's what i thought in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by biru View Post
    But shit in, shit out. Awesome gear ain't going to improve a 320kbps MP3 that was up-converted from a youtube rip of an awesome track off pristine vinyl captured by the video camera on some dude's blackberry.
    hahahaha! I'm so guilty of that.

ok so from my understanding the better the gear the less audio quality is "taken away" not the opposite where the better the gear the more audio quality is added? (sorry if that was confusing) since ultimately its the source file that defines the quality?

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

The guys above have said it all - better kit all the way through ensures the signal gets degraded less. Some pieces of kit may colour the sound in a pleasant way, however, but that's kinda subjective and a can of worms you're trying to stay out of.
    You may however troll using "well it doesn't matter because you have all your gains maxed out anyway,so you're feeding crap to the PA ".
    Last edited by bumtsch; 06-23-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    so I was having a conversation with my brother regarding mixing with equipment and he comes up with an idea that the equipment (mixers, turntables) improve sound quality. the argument pissed me off because he wouldn't acknowledge what I was trying to tell him and kept insisting his point.

He says that his idea is supported by the fact that why a person would get a pioneer DVJ-1000 over a numark NDX 800 is because he could rock the crowd with "better sound quality" and by sound quality he meant the crisp range of audible sound from a file. He says that there is something about the equipment that creates that awesome sound quality and that the soundcard is just an interface.

so i told his dumbass that it is the soundcard (NI audio 10 DJ) that improves sound quality supported the fact that there are settings on the card let me set the sampling rate and buffer size of the sound output... so based on that I tell him a person would pick awesome equipment over lesser equipment is because of the features. its obvious that a DVJ-1000 has more features to fuck with the track than the cheaper ones. obviously those do NOT improve sound quality in the sense of audible range but more on manipulation.

my brother is a fucking idiot and just wants to believe what he wants to believe. please help me tell him that equipment is just for features and manipulation and that it is the soundcard and the music files that set the sound quality.

can you guys please shed some light because you guys know what your talking about. and if im wrong then I deserve to be flamed.

inb4 pissed off.

O_o why the DVJ and not CDJ? DVJs are for video mixers......
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biru View Post
    F*ckn amen!!!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast