Stepping back - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stepping back

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    *shrugs* I've seen this opinion before and I still don't get it. I used to burn 6 - 12+ CD's a week (and 2 copies of each, because I'd do 8 tracks per disc and might want to go from one track on the disc to another particularly given that all the tracks on a single disc were in the same-ish key).

The time I've saved in not having to do this (ignoring the actual cost of the CD-R's, which mounts up over time) has more than compensated for the cost of TSP.

Every minute I spend _not_ burning a CD is a minute I can spend checking out new tunes, or playing tunes, or snorting coke off a hooker's back. Which is, after all, what DJing is all about.
    2 PCs and a laptop..... problem bro? no excuse to not do both
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    2 PCs and a laptop..... problem bro? no excuse to not do both
    I'm not sure what you're saying, man. Not to do both redbook CD's and timecode? You're right, there's not (with the setup I have), so I do.

I just don't have to spend any time burning files I didn't buy as a physical product to redbook CD's, which is full of win.

Moar coke, moar hookers!

*edit* Wait, I get it - I can check out new tunes, play tunes _and_ snort coke off hookers at the same time! You, sir, are a genius.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Don’t sell anything right now mate. While you might find that your current user experience is unsatisfying, you may well feel the same 3, 6, or 12 months down the road with a new/different setup. You may also begin to find that there are elements to your digital setup that don’t work as well in other configurations. Also consider that there are multiple variables that make up the whole DJ experience and the hardware setup is but a small fraction of that.

If you are looking for a more tactile, “honest” DJ experience, then why not go down the DVS route? There was also a previous suggesting about changing styles and I think that’s worth a thought too. I used to play trance back in the day and found it became a less than enthralling mixing experience after a while. If you are using mixed in key - rip out those keys. I ran it for a few months and found it be the single most limiting and a creativity-crushing aspect of digital mixing.

Also, where/how are you playing? You might want to think about switching that up. Play with other people, new people, do some back-to-back mixes/gigs, join some mix trains, – just change your existing dynamic.

By all means add to what you’ve got to give yourself a broader set of tools to use but take some time before you get rid of anything. I got rid of a bunch of kit a while back and have regretted it ever since
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    Don’t sell anything right now mate. While you might find that your current user experience is unsatisfying, you may well feel the same 3, 6, or 12 months down the road with a new/different setup. You may also begin to find that there are elements to your digital setup that don’t work as well in other configurations. Also consider that there are multiple variables that make up the whole DJ experience and the hardware setup is but a small fraction of that.

If you are looking for a more tactile, “honest” DJ experience, then why not go down the DVS route? There was also a previous suggesting about changing styles and I think that’s worth a thought too. I used to play trance back in the day and found it became a less than enthralling mixing experience after a while. If you are using mixed in key - rip out those keys. I ran it for a few months and found it be the single most limiting and a creativity-crushing aspect of digital mixing.

Also, where/how are you playing? You might want to think about switching that up. Play with other people, new people, do some back-to-back mixes/gigs, join some mix trains, – just change your existing dynamic.

By all means add to what you’ve got to give yourself a broader set of tools to use but take some time before you get rid of anything. I got rid of a bunch of kit a while back and have regretted it ever since
    Most creative post on here =) but I find the DVS route to be expensive for what it .... =_= shut up...
    Im planning on going to this other guy's house who has a cdj setup since he wants to see how well I can do on CDJs. I just end up finding alot more djs being those damn purists who say cdjs/vinyl or go home... Even Promoters are killing me =_=.

I also found that my mixing experience on the fly is different than doing mixes for soundcloud. Soundcloud mixes I have the time to select the tracks WAAAAYYYY ahead of time and then toss in some goodies and some ticks and practice them till I have it perfected. My last mix I posted up on soundcloud I can whip out flawlessly on the fly but it's also a set list that if changed might turn for the worst. Also the tracks I can get away with such techniques are the housey kinda trance and not something like Euphoric trance.
    In short, On the fly mixing can often leave me sitting there during some songs for quite a while, while other songs I can really open up with. And yes I also do spend time selecting the next track.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Loads of features? It has 4 channels, 2 mic channels, a crappy soundcard and the ability to headphone cue. Loads of features...

Planning to buy 4 CDJs and 2 mics?

I'd say the numark m2 is a better idea if you want something like that. Under half the price and basically the same thing with only 2 channels.
    the m2 barely has any features on it. it doesnt even have a effective and detailed cuing feature. just a switch and a knob? besides i got mine for 100 bucks so a step down of a dub for less than half the features, i dont think so.

although u may be right on the soundcard but for everything else I respectfully beg to differ.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Name the features the m6 has that the m2 doesn't. Do it.

@ellgieff - You SERIOUSLY burn 12 CDs a week? That's 96 tracks a week or so. You're either a liar, an idiot, a pirate or some combination of the three.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Name the features the m6 has that the m2 doesn't. Do it.

@ellgieff - You SERIOUSLY burn 12 CDs a week? That's 96 tracks a week or so. You're either a liar, an idiot, a pirate or some combination of the three.
    He could be doing what Armin does, 1 track per disk
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

He said 8 tracks per disc. So that's 96 tracks a week.

And he does doubles after that he said so he burns 24 discs a week.

What a fucking waste.

Timecode with CDJs seems a bit silly. It's a nice little addition but the main advantage of a DVS is that you don't have to buy vinyl. You're using CDJs. You don't have to buy vinyl. Just use usb sticks and burn some CDs.
    As has been said below:

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    The time I've saved in not having to do this [burning CDs] (ignoring the actual cost of the CD-R's, which mounts up over time) has more than compensated for the cost of TSP.
    Whatever the medium of your DVS you no longer have to waste time/money in getting tracks onto that medium, be it vinyl or CD.

I use a timecode CD setup with two CD Decks, a DDM4000 and an X1. I get the traditional control surface that im most comfortable with and that i enjoy the feel of the most. While retaining the benefits of software through the DVS and the X1.

Furthermore, when you fancy just cutting loose all you have to do is put a USB stick into each CDJ and off you go (you can use TSP's THRU mode on your soundcard if like me you cba to re-route youre CDJ cables directly into youre mixer. Worth noting however that the soundcard still has to be plugged in via USB to youre laptop to enable THRU mode.)
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Buy some RCA splitters so you can route audio directly into your mixer from the CDJs as well as the soundcard. This way you can take the whole DVS out the loop, decreasing latency with real CDs and if it all fucks up all you have to do is press the next track button and flick from line 1 to line 2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast