Played a Party today alot of technical problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Played a Party today alot of technical problems

Ok so today I had to dj a party at one. So I packed all my stuff up and headed over there. Went to the house set up on the deck and everything, opened up ableton and started playing music while mixing into the next song the audio started to get chopped up and I looked at my cpu meter it was running at 138% So I was like dang what is wrong. I shut down my computer and restarted and then I moved some files over to my external cause I thought my hard drive so I had like 20% free space on the drive enough to run pretty clean and no problems.

So I load up ableton again and and I starting playing again its running ok after I mix a couple songs then I start using some effects and stuff and the cpu is over loaded again. So I shut down my computer and as I touched my screen to shut it, it kind of burnt my finger.

So I figured it was so hot out side that my computer was over heating and slowing it down. So I put an umbrulla over it and a big fan right next to my laptop to keep it cool then everthing ran smoothly after that.

It really sucked tho cause it kinda made me look bad but the host were really cool and they understood that it was really hot and it could happen.

I am in huntsville alabama for the summer and it was a high of 90 degrees today but felt like 100.

Do you guys no what I can do to keep that from happening again.

Tech Wizard

A laptop cooling pad would have helped...

If you are in direct sunlight, I doubt there would have been much that you could have done except blocking the source of the heat, that being the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    So I figured it was so hot out side that my computer was over heating and slowing it down. So I put an umbrulla over it and a big fan right next to my laptop to keep it cool then everthing ran smoothly after that.
    Here endeth the lesson of the day.

Thanks for sharing! These war stories are the important lessons we all need to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Constant View Post
    A laptop cooling pad would have helped...
    +1 on that.

a little umbrella on a stand to put up next to you, or maybe a little portable awning...

Tech Wizard

...and if it is warm out, a small umbrella for your drink would have been a nice touch for yourself as well!

Wow i have never heard a computer doing that one before, though i never have really heard many stories of people running their laptops in direct sunlight.
    Laptop cooling pads really do make a big difference to the heat your laptop is putting out and i would highly suggest one to anyone who is not running a 45nm core as laptops can get so damn hot.

"Generally, today's processors are designed to work between 85 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit and anything outside the temperature range would result in more unstable system and possible damaging of the CPU" - http://www.compunamics.com/overclocking.htm - So be sure to keep an eye on the temperature of your cpu if at all possible if this sort of external heat problem arises again as you could do major damage to your CPU.

Tech Mentor

Yup I agree a fan will help they sell a stand out there with a small fan underneath. I forgot the name of it but im sure if you google it youll find it.
    Thank Ya!!!

There's also programs like I8kfan to give the user control over the fans to keep cpu temperature down.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    There's also programs like I8kfan to give the user control over the fans to keep cpu temperature down.
    The fans generally speed themselves up and slow their selves down (especially computers made in the last few years). So in extreme cases like this the computer would be maxing out the fan speed anyway -however i still highly suggest using programs like these even if it is just to make sure your fan speed is behaving properly.

Depending on how long you have had your computer you might want to open it up and clean the dust out, sometimes this can have a large impact on the CPU temperature your fan and airways are getting clogged with dust.

Edit: Oh and this is probably unrelated but my friend had a problem with his Mac Book Pro claiming that the factory had put too much thermal paste on his CPU which was causing overheating problems. He repaired this himself by cleaning off the thermal paste then applying his own a thin layer of quality thermal paste.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 05-27-2008 at 04:07 AM.

This happened to me during the day at Burning Man. We solved it by having a friend of mine hold a fan over the laptop for an hour. Do I owe that guy, or what?

Definitely get a high-volume pad cooler (I got the Big Brian from quadcooler.com; I don't think they sell them any more, though), and consider getting a small desktop fan you can plug in to your rig and aim at your laptop. But cutting out two sides of a cardboard box and putting it over it is better than direct sunlight in summer.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast