To all the people using Maschine for cue points. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i think OP meant all the people not giving a crap about the maschine software and its abilities but using it only as a midi controller, which def is kind of stupid.

if you use it for production and as a midi controller to spin, i guess it's ok
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Oh look, it's the same guy using Maschine to trigger cue points in Traktor.

If all of us were closed minded robots that only used our equipment for "what it was built for", we wouldn't have scratching, the 303 sound, or a whole host of other DJ and dance culture mainstays.
    Correct me if im wrong but i think he could of done that Cue-Point juggling with an X1? Would have been harder though given the large nature of the Maschine's pads.

Hes clearly a very talented bloke however. And youre damn right about taking normal gear and using it in weird ways to new effect.

It does seem a shame to neglect the Maschine for what its truly capable of, however im not guna judge anyone by how they use their equipment, if it sounds good and youre happy then carry on.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

About the video…yeah…that's kind of what happens when you give a groove box to a drummer.

Oh look, it's the same guy using Maschine to trigger cue points in Traktor.

If all of us were closed minded robots that only used our equipment for "what it was built for", we wouldn't have scratching, the 303 sound, or a whole host of other DJ and dance culture mainstays.
    Uhh…first, have you used the Maschine software?

Second, yeah…halfway valid about the last point. Except that the 303 was kind of almost unique in what it did, and there really wasn't another way to get the sound of scratching out of something else without breaking tape every 5 seconds.

Conversely, there are a lot of controllers that cost a fifth as much as Maschine that do everything it does except have the Maschine software. Some of them actually do a lot more than the Maschine does in MIDI mode. And it wouldn't surprise me if some of them shipped with Live Lite or something like it.

Maschine's only real selling point is the software and the fact that it's designed well enough that you don't really have to look at it.

Frankly, I'm glad a lot of people are buying Maschine, because that keeps them in production, keeps the Maschine updates coming, and keeps their price reasonable. I just kind of think that you're all idiots for doing it, probably just so it'll match the rest of your NI gear.

If you don't believe me, go look at the threads I started here and on DJF asking specific questions about how its midi implementation integrates with a DAW. NOT ONE USEFUL RESPONSE. On two forums…with dozens of Maschine users each, the best I got was one guy who quoted marketing materials and had obviously never even demo'd one and someone on DJF that I joked with about all the idiots buying it for no reason. I had to go buy the damn thing to figure out if it did what I wanted…and it took about 5 minutes to figure out that yes, it does do most of what I wanted, and one thing it didn't do doesn't matter.

Maschine used the way you describe is literally paying twice as much as the top of the line Akai MPD for less functionality. It doesn't make any sense.

But it makes a really freaking awesome groove box that costs $1400 less than the MPC-5000 that it competes with. Plus, it's smaller and lighter, it sends 16 stereo channels into Logic with basically zero configuration without spending thousands of dollars on an audio interface, and you have a much bigger screen available if you really need it for editing.

The sad thing is that I don't think either Rafik video (the one you linked or the one in the OP) actually shows off its strengths.

But then, hardly any of you care anyway…
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-24-2011 at 01:12 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Next up will be Mostapha's video
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

As soon as i get my live set together, I'll have audio at least. It's coming okay so far.

Tech Guru

Uhh…first, have you used the Maschine software?
    Uhh..I happen to have a Maschine sitting on my desk at home. Yes I've used it's software. But I also know that it's a fantastic MIDI controller with plenty of feedback, and I wouldn't hesitate in using it with Traktor.

Second, yeah…halfway valid about the last point. Except that the 303 was kind of almost unique in what it did...
    You've missed the point entirely here. First, no the 303 wasn't any more unique than any other drum machine, synthesizer, or CV sequencer. It was a bass synthesizer based on synth modules Roland made in the 70s. It was hard to use and totally unremarkable until people started using it out of it's originally intended mode of operation (feel free to argue about whether this was done by Newcleus, Earl Smith Jr, or Charanjit Singh).

...and there really wasn't another way to get the sound of scratching out of something else without breaking tape every 5 seconds.
    And what about the first guy to use the turntable as an instrument instead of simply a playback device? Hell, if we're talking about people using gear in non-traditional ways, let's also talk about pause tapes, break mixing, the 12" single, and a lot of other dance culture innovations.

Conversely, there are a lot of controllers that cost a fifth as much as Maschine that do everything it does except have the Maschine software.
    Maschine used the way you describe is literally paying twice as much as the top of the line Akai MPD for less functionality. It doesn't make any sense.
    So what? Why does cost play into this at all? Is part of what makes an artist valid how frugal they are?

The point is why on earth are you worrying AT ALL about what someone else uses, or why they use it? What makes you qualified to sit and judge/criticize other people about their equipment? How is that attitude any different than traditional DJs discounting controller based DJs because of what they use?

Worry about your own shit.
    my point was anyone who drops £500 on a maschine and use's just for traktor is a fucking idiot.its like buying a supercar and driving it round in London.

and i am not saying use your gear the way it says,not at all
    my ableton set up would make your eyes water i never think in the box and this is the point i am trying to make the maschine is a great tool and you can do so many things with it,using it for cue points in traktor is not thinking out side the box.

But the why spend £500 on something when you can get a pad controller for less than £100

the point is why on earth are you worrying at all about what someone else uses, or why they use it? What makes you qualified to sit and judge/criticize other people about their equipment? How is that attitude any different than traditional djs discounting controller based djs because of what they use?
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    my point was anyone who drops £500 on a maschine and use's just for traktor is a fucking idiot.its like buying a supercar and driving it round in London.

and i am not saying use your gear the way it says,not at all
    my ableton set up would make your eyes water i never think in the box and this is the point i am trying to make the maschine is a great tool and you can do so many things with it,using it for cue points in traktor is not thinking out side the box.

But the why spend £500 on something when you can get a pad controller for less than £100
    Kind of like people who buy CDJ 2000s or 900s for bedroom DVS mixing. I hear ya.

Banned

Mostapha is quickly becoming one of my favourite posters on here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast