Are some songs just a pain in the ass to beatgrid?

Default Are some songs just a pain in the ass to beatgrid?

I started into the task of beat griding all my songs today and noticed that most tracks if i start the grid at a snare, the snare will usually line up... but i got to an aphex twin track and this dosnt seem to be the case... How should i beat grid songs like this where I start the cue point one on a snare and the snares after that dont line up with the grid.

Also I have had somone tell me i shouldnt even bother beat gridding my tracks.. i should just set up cue points where i would drop the track then do it by ear.

In situations where you can't use sync because the bpm's of the track your mixing into differ too much from the track thats playing, how can you make a smooth transition?

Thanks.
    2 x Technics 1210 M5g / Rane TTM 56 / Rokit krk 8's and 10s / Lenovo 15" i7 4gb / Oxygen 8v2 / HDJ-2000 / TSP2 Audio 10

oh yeah, on a side note, if anyone reading this has UV knobs they wana sell let me know.
    2 x Technics 1210 M5g / Rane TTM 56 / Rokit krk 8's and 10s / Lenovo 15" i7 4gb / Oxygen 8v2 / HDJ-2000 / TSP2 Audio 10

I gave up beatgridding a long time ago. I know it's a good preparation, but it just takes the fun out of djing for me if i have to spend half a day beatgridding after every purchase.
    I generally accept what autogrid gives me and do some detailed beatmatching by ear if it turns out wrong.
    But i'm hardly using sync-connected functionality anyway.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

I use ableton and hardly use traktor but i have never had to beatgrid a song

everything seams in time,so is it needed?
    i guess on really old songs but new stuff i have had a problem traktor does a good job

Tech Convert

Don't over think it too much. Let it get the bpm then either just stick the first grid marker on the first bit of waveform or tap it out if its giving you trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Xitan View Post
    tap it out if its giving you trouble.
    Excellent advice for mixing and pretty much everything else in life.

If you were an Ebay seller I'd give you A++++++++++++++++++++ for Quick service and reasonable shipping costs, love my new toaster. Highly recommended!
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.