Just bought used turntables, did I make a mistake?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Just bought used turntables, did I make a mistake?

I just picked up a pair of Stanton STR8-60's from a guy on craigslist for $75. It included slipmats, spare records, and a mixer. It did NOT, however, come with needles. I tested everything I could (stable headshell, no platter wobble, the pitch fader was smooth and the motor seemed to be fine), and they are super clean. Without needles tho, I still feel shakey. I'm gonna go buy some needles in the morning so I can play with them, but this deal seems too good to be true.

Did I make a mistake?

Tech Guru

yes

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    yes
    Cool, thanks for the input.

in short yes, well maybe not. I dont understand why people would buy turntables now a days. In my experience they are becoming less and less common place in venues. But I suppose there is something kinda nice and tactile about them.

Stanton makes good turntables. The only issue with the ones you picked up, is that they are one of the lower end line that Stanton puts out, summing up to basically mean the torque (platter speed/strength) on them isn't going to be as high as a top of the line version.

That being said, for $75 you did fine. It's a good introductory piece of kit that you'll find out if you really want to make a big investment in them later on, and will get you started out of the gate.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Well, I already have a controller setup and I figure I can sell the mixer for $20. Worst case senario I'm out 50 bucks(in which case I just put them back on craigslist). I got them because I want to learn to beatmatch, I honestly dont plan on using them out, especially as my friend has 1200s.

This is how I got the bug. I picked up some stanton ST-80's (the plastic moulded ones) a while back. Theyre good enough to know you want something better, if that makes sense.

If you experience goes anything like mine then you'll get frustrated with the torque and the general build of the unit then you'll pick up 2nd hand 1210's, and have a hard time trying to shift the old stantons. lol

You'll wanna spend more than $20 on a mixer too, at least 10x more.

Budget stuff is budget for a reason.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Dude, I just noticed your rocking a xone 22 in your sig. USE THAT!
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Wizard

I'm going to use my xone, thats why i said i'd sell the mixer i got for free.

Only eta tons u wanna be rocking are 100 &150 and the 150's beat the 1210's hands down.But they are your first tables don't worry about

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast