How to fix a headphone plug
    Tech Mentor

Default How to fix a headphone plug

So i messed up my headphone plug (jack?) messing around with my ipod and now it only plays through one side. What are my options? can i replace just the plug? (i can solder)

Yes. Look for a Switchcraft 3.5mm/1/8" plug and solder away. Just be sure you solder the left lead to the left tab and vice versa. Goodluck!
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Are you sure its headphones and not the ipod? I've had a few ipods where the leads for the jack have broken and only played out one side. It's pretty common problem.

Tech Mentor

http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/2...ugs_group.aspx

Test your headphones with another source and try another pair of headphones with the iPod to be sure that replacing the plug isn't going to be a waste of time.
    The cable failed on my Sonys at the plug end so wiggle the cable around to see if it makes any difference when testing, and try to figure out how much cable needs trimming if it is actually a cable fault.

To replace the plug, cut off the old 1, cut it open with a sharp knife, note down the colours of the wires and where they are connected then simply solder the replacement in the same way.

Oh and if you run into enameled wires, hold them in solder long enough for the solder to remove the enamel coating and then it'll stick to the copper. Most brands use green, clear and red enamel coating. Red is mostly right, though I have had some headphones where it was actually left.
    It might also be a good idea to have a multi meter handy to measure resistance. If the resistance is 0, you got a short.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Mentor

It used to be the iPod but then I would kinda bend it and it would work. Over time that messed up the Jack. Anyway thanks for the tip guys. Should I add lots of tape to secure it
    Last edited by DjSweekUh; 06-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Tech Mentor

so the wiring inside the headphone cable has three wires. is the copper one ground?

Tech Mentor

It maybe a good idea to post which model you've got

In some of the YouTube vids I've seen to fix this issue they loosen the screw holding the socket (after carefully stripping down the iPod), start playing a track, plug in the headphones, move the socket around til you get stereo, then just tighten the screw again and reassemble the iPod to fix the issue. I think it works because over time the socket moves and the connecting wires short so the socket needs repositioning correctly again.

Tech Mentor

Everything works! Thanks for the help guys