WAV files taking space? why not use tera byte hard drives! check it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WAV files taking space? why not use tera byte hard drives! check it.

if a .wav track usually takes up to 50~100mb and a tera byte can take up to 1, 048,576 mega bytes, why not just use an external hard drive! plug it in ur laptop and start mixing with all the .wav files you desire. I started buying only .wav files and I'm lovin the quality. seeing another thread where whether mp3 or wav was an issue at venues; I believe .wav files really do make a difference especially if your sound system can handle.

or am I missing a point because of latency, liability conditions with using a hard drive? I imagine it would lag up the software but I could be wrong.

anyone out there using external hard drives as their music library?

there are many hard drives out there that are cheap.

http://www.frys.com/product/6206810

1 tera byte for less than 100$

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Yeah I use a FiewWire 800 drive at home and it works fine..
    But if I play out I copy some stuff to the desktop just to be sure - and so I don't have to carry my Ext. HD.
    SC | MC

The cost of WAV handling is ridiculous if you ask me.
    Pay almost double the amount for a difference that you cant really tell? No thanks
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    The cost of WAV handling is ridiculous if you ask me.
    Pay almost double the amount for a difference that you cant really tell? No thanks
    studio wise, you could tell. but on the dance floor I dont think most people will notice or even care because theyre just there to have fun.

I agree on the cost too. got a 10$ gift card that only gave me 3 wav tracks.

but I have to say its pretty self satisfying knowing that your shelling out high end music to the masses

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Yeah I use a FiewWire 800 drive at home and it works fine..
    But if I play out I copy some stuff to the desktop just to be sure - and so I don't have to carry my Ext. HD.
    so you dont use your ext hard drive outside your home?

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    Not usually no, I copy stuff to my macbook - just so I don't have to carry the hd tho
    SC | MC

studio wise, you could tell. but on the dance floor I dont think most people will notice or even care because theyre just there to have fun.

I agree on the cost too. got a 10$ gift card that only gave me 3 wav tracks.

but I have to say its pretty self satisfying knowing that your shelling out high end music to the masses

my whole library is on my external..but when i gig I copy my entire playlist + another backup one to my HD and carry the HDD in my backpack as a backup. external HDs are great, I just don't trust a USB connection coming loose during a gig.

on that note, I also carry a USB stick that can boot linux and some janky old DJ software, just incase the PC takes a shit. >

Quote Originally Posted by djdarkgrey View Post
    my whole library is on my external..but when i gig I copy my entire playlist + another backup one to my HD and carry the HDD in my backpack as a backup. external HDs are great, I just don't trust a USB connection coming loose during a gig.

on that note, I also carry a USB stick that can boot linux and some janky old DJ software, just incase the PC takes a shit. >
    hahaha. yea I agree one pull on the USB and thats minutes of dead silence before recuperating :eek:

just the gig's playlist? hmmm never thought of that.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

I took my external to a house party once and for some reason I couldn't play any music in traktor that was on it. Having to copy over every tune I wanted to play to the desktop was pretty annoying.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

hahaha. yea I agree one pull on the USB and thats minutes of dead silence before recuperating :eek:

just the gig's playlist? hmmm never thought of that.
    Not really, most (if not all) DJing software load the tracks into the RAM as soon as you put it on a deck.

Replug > Check consistency > Done

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve81 View Post
    I took my external to a house party once and for some reason I couldn't play any music in traktor that was on it. Having to copy over every tune I wanted to play to the desktop was pretty annoying.
    mate..go into traktor before the gig and go export playlist (copy files to destination) and export them from the external to your laptop HD, + another usb thumbdrive for good measure.

the RAM thing is very true..but what if you are near the end of a song and some drunk moron wants to see what your lacie HD looks like up close and yanks it.

I srsly run a redundancy chain of backup playlist + gig playlist:

laptop HD
    external
    USB thumbdrive with just the gig playlist (its a little guy )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast