RCA to XLR adapters/cables. Any consequences?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RCA to XLR adapters/cables. Any consequences?

I'm looking for a cheap/reliable 4 channel mixer. And I'm liking on the Vestex VMC 004. I have to 2 channel one already for vinyl, and the shits nice. For the 4 channel version, there's a new one and an old one. They are identical to each other except the newer one has XLR outputs. Obviously its more expensive. Reviews seem to be fine for adapters/cables that do the conversion, but I want some real answers. If I get the chance to DJ my school dance again, the speakers they own use XLR. Getting the XLR one would be the easiest, but would it hurt to use adapters to get my XLRs? Or would it sound like shit?

Thanks

Tech Guru

xlr outputs carry balanced audio signals, rca's dont. balanced signals are considered professional and carry over longer distances without being susceptible to interference from power and/or lighting rigs etc...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

Another "important" thing to me is that normally Xlr outputs from good equipment carry an output of +4db in comparison to the -10db of the RCA . What does this mean? Way more headroom on the Xlr side and the things and you can move your PA and speakers with a lot less on effort getting the same volumes but with a lot less of distortion, you do not have to crank the mixer volume or gains to the limit with the Xlr and normally with RCA outputs you have to. Better sound quality and less wear on the amps and speakers

My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMogal View Post
    +1

Blame the search. I typed RCA XLR and nothing came up. w/e
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Tech Wizard

RCA to xlr will work. But , if you can go xlr-xlr its much better for a load of reasons

RCA to XLR miiiiight work but you're quite likely to have grounding/noise problems due to plugging an unbalanced output into a balanced input. a DI box would be your best solution, like this: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI20.aspx
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    normally Xlr outputs from good equipment carry an output of +4db in comparison to the -10db of the RCA
    Interesting - same for balanced TRS?
    356 reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    Interesting - same for balanced TRS?
    Yes, that's the numbers for balanced vs. unbalanced....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast