Soundcard decision
    Tech Student

Default Soundcard decision

So a friend of mine is selling his used soundcard, it's a "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio Pro" and i was wondering if it's gonna work on traktor for cueing and main output to the speakers or shall i go for a new Audio2dj soundcard? Here's a link if u wanna see the specifications and features and what not http://us.store.creative.com/Creativ...B0044DEDCA.htm

don't use that for djing. get the audio 2

I actually have one of those and was using it when I first started to dj. Although I was using vdj, it got the job done. Used it at home and a few work school dances. I wouldn't recommend it though. It's not the best for djing. It's meant more for making your music "sound better" from your laptop and turning it into surround sound quality (supposedly). Like Jason said, Don't buy it. Get the Audio2dj.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91 View Post
    So a friend of mine is selling his used soundcard, it's a "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio Pro" and i was wondering if it's gonna work on traktor for cueing and main output to the speakers or shall i go for a new Audio2dj soundcard? Here's a link if u wanna see the specifications and features and what not http://us.store.creative.com/Creativ...B0044DEDCA.htm
    If you can go for an Audio2DJ, then go for it. Top of the line quality and sound. The Creative will do the work, you have many outputs, and can configure them for cueing, master and even booth/rec functions, but's not designed for DJing...

Audio 2 and be done with it.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Default "surround" or "THX" cards

As a golden rule: stay away from anything that has "surround", "7.1", "5.1", "THX" or "cinema" in its name. They all translate to "end consumer crap" and are next to useless for production or DJing purposes. No matter how many IOs and shiny features they might have!

Be sure to buy hardware with ASIO support and at least two analog, separate stereo outputs instead, if you are a Windows user, look for CoreAudio if your bread is buttered on the Apple side or Jackd, if you should use Linux.
    You can get a decent external card for DJing for about $100 - you do not need a lot of mic preamps and sophisticated inputs. These things are for recording and that's not your primary intent (if at all) as a DJ or producer.

Cheers and have fun,
    Tom, live act, producer, VJ, DJ and wtfnotelse

--
    http://soundcloud.com/ax11

Tech Student

Thanks guys, i'll go for the Audio2dj soundcard.

Nicely said cosmodrome.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!