VCI-100 maps with 4x hotcues
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-100 using 4x hotcues

Before I get too far into my library only to start over, as I've done numerous times with traktor, I would like to know what the general consensus is with setting up Hotcues.

I had been using the LOAD cue to mark hooks and choruses just because the color sets it apart from the typical green cue. Then I reliized that it loaded that part of the song when loaded to a DECK, which makes sense.

So, my question is, for those of you using a VCI-100 map with only 4x hotcues per deck, where are you placing your grid and load cues? I'm leaning towards moving LOAD, GRID, and FADEOUT to cues to 5-8. That way I have quick access to the main cues using 1-4.

I also, like to keep them in order from left to right as its visually easier to access them, but having cue 7 and 8 at the beginning of a track for LOAD and GRID might be unorthodox.

What works for you and what do you recommend.
    Last edited by Cayotic; 02-11-2009 at 11:56 PM.

I typically use fade-in/fade-outs to mark different points in tracks, since they don't do anything like they did in Traktor 3.

I agree about organizing them linearly, esp as I'm starting to do more beat juggling...but there's no easy way to go back and add a cue #1 when you already have 7 stored, other than deleting and shifting everything around one by one.

Is there a better way?

Yeah.. by not using cue slot 1 at all and use that specificly for on the fly cue point managment.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Yeah.. by not using cue slot 1 at all and use that specificly for on the fly cue point managment.

Do tell

How do you mean, on teh fly cue mangement ?

G

Well whenever you store a cue point it becomes the first cuepoint in the list, so if you allways leave cue point 1 free then whenever you hit store you know its going into slot 1 - from there you can move that stored cue to one of your choice.

ahhhhhhh i seeeeeeeee

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Well whenever you store a cue point it becomes the first cuepoint in the list, so if you allways leave cue point 1 free then whenever you hit store you know its going into slot 1 - from there you can move that stored cue to one of your choice.
    I use this method when moving my cue points to where I want them, I'm still wondering if ppl group their cues by hooks, verses, or just linerally?

What number do you set as your grid cue? I'm using #8, because it seems like a wasted cue point. Its just there to set the tone for other cues by ensuring they will be on beat.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I always have Cue Marker 1 be my grid cue, and I have it set wherever I think the beat is the best and fullest for the track to be played alone.

Cue Point 8 is always Fade-Out.

Beyond that I am still trying to figure out the details.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I always have Cue Marker 1 be my grid cue, and I have it set wherever I think the beat is the best and fullest for the track to be played alone.

Cue Point 8 is always Fade-Out.

Beyond that I am still trying to figure out the details.

And that would be the traditional, linear use of cue points.

If you are using a VCI, most ppl use just the first 4 hotcues. Which limits the use to 3 if one is dedicated to a grid point. Unless you use it for a verse marker as well.

I mean you can change the settings so 2,3,4,5 are being accessed by the controller, and since most don't have an overlay that labels the hotcue controls of their controller, this could work, but could also be confusing, for others that are using your settings.

I guess its whatever feels most comfortable without sacrificing productivity.