Grrrrrrr... HID to MIDI frustration
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Grrrrrrr... HID to MIDI frustration

Ok I've been trying really really hard to try and not post something which is clearly a fairly common topic, but I really just can't find anything.

Truthfully, the underlying thing I've been trying to do is use a second QWERTY keyboard with Traktor Pro/ Traktor Pro 2. So what I've been trying to do is find an easy way to convert the HID signals to MIDI, so that way the keyboard commands between my laptops built in keyboard and the external keyboard. I also need keys that have the same command, like the shift keys, to send different signals, but actually if that cant happen thats ok.

Anyway I've tried a whole slue of programs, and none of them seem to work properly. Mjoy, joy to key, fergo, bomes, mousekeyboard200, etc. I have a plain old Logitech external keyboard, something I plan on ripping apart later and modding, and I run Windows 7 64-bit on a Dell XPS 17, and like I said I'm looking to convert the signals, or a similar alternative, to use for Traktor Pro / 2.

I'm sort of thinking this just isn't a possibility at this time, but thanks in advance for anyone who helps!

praise GlovePIE (free download) over an over again!

Ya I remember reading about this on the forums, I guess I forgot to try it whoops. Thanks a bunch for the reminder haha. I'll report back once I try it and see how it goes. For now, off to a party.

Oh god this is going to a be confusing isn't it? Considering I've never done scripting that is...
    Last edited by chaomocha; 07-04-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaomocha View Post
    Ya I remember reading about this on the forums, I guess I forgot to try it whoops. Thanks a bunch for the reminder haha. I'll report back once I try it and see how it goes. For now, off to a party.

Oh god this is going to a be confusing isn't it? Considering I've never done scripting that is...
    i had a similar issue with wanting to use a usb touchpad as an X/Y type pad input. i wrote a glovepie script that swallows the mouse input so now only my laptops touchpad actually moves the cursor around and then wrote code to output midi from the usb touchpad.

glovepie is very cool - and the scripting is relatively simple.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

So there's a way to swallow one keyboard and keep another keyboard an actual keyboard? because that's exactly what I'm looking for. I guess my next question is how do I script GlovePIE? Any tips or links or anything on how to do it, because I've never really scripted anything before really.

Tech Wizard

If I recall correctly: Glovepie is able to convert keystrokes into midi, but it cannot swallow the keystrokes from a particular keyboard when multiple keyboards are connected.

So if keyboard1 is your regular keyboard & keyboard2 is your midi controller-to-be, then:
    • midi.channel1.asharp0 = Keyboard2.W
    Will only make keyboard2 output a midi note when pressing the 'W' key. However (and this is why I ended up using gamepads instead) keyboard2 will still output a W keystroke...

I guess my next question is how do I script GlovePIE? Any tips or links or anything on how to do it, because I've never really scripted anything before really.
    This thread is where I started out:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...?t=8868&page=2

Once you've got midi-yoke installed, the glovepie scripting is really simple. For example, to make the 'W' key output a midi note, this is all the code you'd need:

midi.DeviceOut = 2
    midi.channel1.asharp0 = Keyboard2.W
    Last edited by scyn; 07-11-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scyn View Post
    If I recall correctly: Glovepie is able to convert keystrokes into midi, but it cannot swallow the keystrokes from a particular keyboard when multiple keyboards are connected.

So if keyboard1 is your regular keyboard & keyboard2 is your midi controller-to-be, then:
    • midi.channel1.asharp0 = Keyboard2.W
    Will only make keyboard2 output a midi note when pressing the 'W' key. However (and this is why I ended up using gamepads instead) keyboard2 will still output a W keystroke...

This thread is where I started out:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...?t=8868&page=2

Once you've got midi-yoke installed, the glovepie scripting is really simple. For example, to make the 'W' key output a midi note, this is all the code you'd need:

midi.DeviceOut = 2
    midi.channel1.asharp0 = Keyboard2.W
    Wow thank you for all this advice, this is gunna help alot. Maybe you could answer my next question now though too, and I'm just thinking of it now that you mentioned I can't swallow the keystrokes completely. Can I convert both keyboards to midi instead, and have say for example the W key on one keyboard set to send a different midi signal than the other? Or will it not be able to differentiate between the two still? Maybe my question doesn't make sense, I don't really know what I'm doing as far as these new programs go lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scyn View Post
    not tried multiple keyboards but this bit of code works for swallowing mouse input so my main one is used as a mouse and i use the external one for midi:

Code:
    mouse.Swallow = true
    fakemouse.DirectInputX = mouse1.DirectInputX
    fakemouse.DirectInputY = mouse1.DirectInputY
    mouse.LeftButton = mouse1.LeftButton
    mouse.RightButton = mouse1.RightButton
    mouse.MiddleButton = mouse1.MiddleButton
    mouse.XButton1 = mouse1.XButton1
    mouse.XButton2 = mouse1.XButton2
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

yep - also works for keyboards with this...

Code:
    keyboard.swallow=true
    then u ofc need to add the code to make the main keyboard still work as a keyboard:

...I can't swallow the keystrokes completely. Can I convert both keyboards to midi instead, and have say for example the W key on one keyboard set to send a different midi signal than the other? Or will it not be able to differentiate between the two still? Maybe my question doesn't make sense, I don't really know what I'm doing as far as these new programs go lol.
    yep u should be able to make the main kw work as a kw and the external one for midi.

and yep to the next question - you should be able to make both keyboards send out different midi data if you swallow them both.

not a big deal as when u click to stop glovepie then they'll both work as usual kb's again anyway.... tho keeping the main one (assuming glovepie can route that back to being a normal keyboard but i'm almost certain it would be able to) as a normal kb probably makes the most sense.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast