first long gig coming up
    Tech Mentor

Default Keeping people interested

So im used to doing hour long sets for clubs and what not but i have my first long set (two and a half hours) next thurs. Whatre your tips for keepin the club alive and whatnot. Im going to be spinning electro dubstep and moombahton.
    Last edited by DjSweekUh; 07-02-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Drop the moomba

Best advice I can think of is to not plan too much for longer sets, just have kind of vague directions to go with your set mapped out based on the situation. Played a 7 hour set a few weeks ago and there's no way I could have predicted when the peak times would be or how the crowd would react to different genres ahead of time. 2.5 hours is a bit more reasonable, though, and you can probably expect typical club buildup timing.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Best advice I can think of is to not plan too much for longer sets, just have kind of vague directions to go with your set mapped out based on the situation. Played a 7 hour set a few weeks ago and there's no way I could have predicted when the peak times would be or how the crowd would react to different genres ahead of time. 2.5 hours is a bit more reasonable, though, and you can probably expect typical club buildup timing.
    srs reply is srs.

and for srs, he's totally right. have a general like...300-400 song setlist if you can and i typically mix in waves for long mixes..start the night slow, have a little peak song time..drop it back down, build it up around 10:30-11, don't slow it down too much, then build to max about 1:30 before the end and just ram that bastard home..

2.5 hours isn't very long really. About the optimum time for a decent set without tearing it all down too often.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

everywhere ive worked its always been 4 hours minimum. Some times longer, never used to plan anything, id make sure i had my peak time floor fillers to hand and that would be it, just put one track on and off you go on a journey thru the night taking a few requests along the way and just work off the crowd, get a feel for what they want, i used to play the same stuff week in week out (genre i mean) and the peole coming in came in cos they knew the music policy and liked it..
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by djdarkgrey View Post
    srs reply is srs.

and for srs, he's totally right. have a general like...300-400 song setlist if you can and i typically mix in waves for long mixes..start the night slow, have a little peak song time..drop it back down, build it up around 10:30-11, don't slow it down too much, then build to max about 1:30 before the end and just ram that bastard home..

This is exactly my advice. Work with a pool of tracks that you would potentially play, and work with the ebb and flow of the crowd as it unfolds on the floor.

Another suggestion is to have some "go to" transition tracks that can get you from Dubstep/Electro, Electro/Moomba, Moomba/Dubstep, etc. If you can, put in a bit of practice in making these transitions as smooth as possible, so you'll be comfortable going with them live.

Good luck!!
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Just be ready to switch it up completely if need be. If the forumla isn't working, try something else to get people moving.

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    Just be ready to switch it up completely if need be. If the forumla isn't working, try something else to get people moving.
    quoted for truth. i've built floors for DJs after me who are too stubborn to switch and watch them drop wrong tune after wrong tune and literally clear the house. don't be that guy.