Song Structure Evolution
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Song Structure Evolution

im not really sure how to get this across, im at work and im still drunk from last night (ugh), but ill do my best. im making a lot of assumptions which im sure may be incorrect- excuse that, my music history is not great

the first dance music with its structured bpm seems to have occured because it is easier for a DJ to mix. so dance music came about to make mixing easier, more for practicality than its actual musical value, and from there it began to evolve musically.

so... now that we have reached a new age of DJing im thinking there is room for a new way to make music...a brand new structure that has been freed from physical parameters such as a vinyl.

im not sure exactly what im getting at here but.... thoughts?
    rip apart my assumptions too, nothing worse than having to guess about things because of a lack of knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

I wouldnt say EDM was made just becasue it was easier for a dj to mix - there are certainly some aspects about the songs that have been put there to make it easier to mix.

Over time i think we will see more use of changing tempos, we are just starting to see more of this now. However digital dj software is still really yet to catch up in this domain of mixing different tracks with changing tempos without sucking the life out of the track completely - olschool beatmatching techniques are still required for anything that doesnt have a constant tempo and wouldnt sound right by running it though Ableton and warping it.

I think there are certainly some aspects about electronic music that have been created pretty much based aound use for djs - like long intros and outros in tracks that are pretty much put there so a dj can mix in the next track, i dont think that will be going away though as we still have a ton of people using very traditional methods of mixing tracks together and these are esssential parts of the songs to them. Also I dont think the standard dj workflow wont be doing anywhere for a long time and thus will still be needed to be supported by the producers.

Maybe it had a structure bpm because it was easier to dance to. Dancing to music with inconsistant tempos probably isn't easy (not that I've tried). Or not. I might be wrong...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Maybe it had a structure bpm because it was easier to dance to. Dancing to music with inconsistant tempos probably isn't easy (not that I've tried). Or not. I might be wrong...
    People have no problems dancing to jazz music with a tempo thats all over the show

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    People have no problems dancing to jazz music with a tempo thats all over the show
    Well played. But I think most people dancing to dance music aren't exactly the jazz-dancing type.

Or rather, it's easier to dance to music with a consistant tempo
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

im thinking like instead of having your track so that it has a beggining middle and end that are all linked somehow musically (a song), you'd have a "track" that is no longer a song but instead a large group of similar sounding samples/buildups/slowdowns/whatever that you can pick and choose from at your own will and chuck into loopy fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    im thinking like instead of having your track so that it has a beggining middle and end that are all linked somehow musically (a song), you'd have a "track" that is no longer a song but instead a large group of similar sounding samples/buildups/slowdowns/whatever that you can pick and choose from at your own will and chuck into loopy fun
    Your thinking about that new ableton 8 share project functionality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglKTXZeKGI

I wouldnt say EDM was made just becasue it was easier for a dj to mix - there are certainly some aspects about the songs that have been put there to make it easier to mix.
    i think what i meant was that the idea of a constant bpm within a genre came as a result of DJing. i think EDM was around long before this "structuring". perhaps im confusing myself with how we categorise music

Your thinking about that new ableton 8 share project functionality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglKTXZeKGI
    possibly, im not sure wat it is i cant watch the video lol

however yea im thinking like music that is made in an almost "non-linear" fashion designed around the possiblities that our awesome software provides

I think a constant bpm is just part of the nature of sequenced music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast