Allen and Heath DB4, can anyone explain why/what it does that makes it so "good"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Allen and Heath DB4, can anyone explain why/what it does that makes it so "good"

Hi, I'm looking into buying some new equipment soon and I was looking at a DB4 but what I wonder is that will all the features that it has work with traktor, and are the features (filters, eqs, effects etc) better than what I find in Traktor? also if there are any alternatives please let me know. BTW I have a kontrol X1 right now
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Fucking, everything.

Basically, it has outstanding audio, amazing effects, built like a bomb shelter and is not made by Pioneer. I spoke to one of the engineers at BPM and it can only be described as a work of passion. It looks like a shuttle console but the audio routing, settings manager, soundcard are all great.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think the developers are still finding new things it can do.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Right on, I'm really curious about how the effects will work in conjunction with the effects in traktor, right now I'm a traktor 1.2.6 user (I never upgraded, don't really see a reason to to be honest) on a bcd3000 and a x1, so basically it's all plug and play. Is the db4 pretty easy to set up and mess with or will I have to do some mapping? Sorry for being pretty uninformed about the whole thing..I should be more informed huh?

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Is the db4 pretty easy to set up and mess with or will I have to do some mapping?
    Its all external, no mapping involved - just route each deck in Traktor to a corresponding channel on the mixer's soundcard. With the MIDI shift mode you can map all the software controls in Traktor, Ableton, etc to the DB4 controls as well. To be clear on that, you're not limited to using the DB4 as an external mixer OR a midi controller, you can do both at the same time - just hit the MIDI shift button and all the external mixer controls seamlessly shift to MIDI controls. So, you could use just the mixer and your laptop for a complete Traktor solution if you were so inclined.

The soundcard and routing options, the effects, the switchable EQs, the looper... I could go on for days about all the things I love about this mixer, so I'll just recommend that you start here, take a look at the videos, documentation, etc and I'll answer any more specific questions you have.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 07-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Do you have one DigitalDevil? I haven't talked to anybody that's actually had one yet. I will admit that I toyed with the idea of selling my motorcycle, getting a different one and using the leftover for a DB4.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Do you have one DigitalDevil?
    yessir

Alright, I watched the 3rd video where the (austrailian?) gentleman reviewed it and a few questions came up...first it seems like (like every thing that analyzes tempo) it works great with straight beat (techno, house, trance etc) styles, what I want to know is if it is useful for breakbeat styles, drum and bass in particular...it seems like bpm analysis doesn't work that well for fast breaks. also is the crossfader light enough for scratching, because I'd like to get some sort of midi "jogwheel" control so I can scratch a bit. could you maybe explain a little bit deeper the whys behind using the built in effects as opposed to traktors (which sound pretty good to me, but I use very shitty speakers....)and explain a bit more about the loop roll (and possibly test it with dnb and make a short mix for me) I know I'm asking alot, but I like the mixer, but it is very pricey and you having one really seems like a good way to find out more about it to my specifications and needs. Thanks in advance

Mike

Also I'm looking for some sort of jogwheel control what would be a nice companion to my x1 and a db4?

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Also I'm looking for some sort of jogwheel control what would be a nice companion to my x1 and a db4?
    Xone 1D ? or maybe a vci
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast